Toilet install questions

Old 04-10-09, 11:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet install questions

My first time replacing a toilet. Removal of old one went fine. Lowered the new toilet onto the flange bolts and ran into two issues.

1. The toilet went readily right to the floor. I had expected it to sit on the wax ring, and thought I'd have to push down to get it flush to the floor. But I didn't feel any resistance on the way down so I'm worried that the new ring didn't seal properly. Maybe I need a double ring? I'm confident that the toilet aligned properly on the discharge hole (judging by bolt placement). Should I have felt some resistance due to having to push down the wax ring, or is it normal that the toilet would easily settle to floor level?

2. The toilet isn't level -- it slants side-to-side by 5/16" inch. The culprit is the floor, which I now see is slanted by that amount. I could shim one side of the toilet, but I'm afraid if I lift it up I'll break the wax seal (if there is a good seal). Also it might look odd to shim one side that much. Will 5/16" off level cause a problem with the flush?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-09, 04:06 PM
F
Sounds like you need a thicker wax ring or double up. You will break the seal on the old one when you lift the toilet but fortunately they are cheap. As to leveling the new toilet if the old one worked on the uneven floor the new one probably will also but if you can shim it without it looking bad it would be good to go ahead and level it while you have it back off. Also if you havent been wraned already, DO NOT over tighten the bolts when reattaching it to the flange. You would not believe how easily you can crack a new toilet by over tightening.

Old 04-11-09, 12:11 PM
B
Update

I pulled up the toilet and the wax ring was completely intact -- it clearly hadn't sealed. I bought an "extra-thick" wax ring today -- it has 40% more wax and seals from 1/4 to 1 inch higher so that should do it.

I never noticed a slanting problem with the old toilet, but we did do some flooring work so I can't be sure it's exactly the same as before.

I also bought a pack of plastic shims and will put the toilet in place without the wax ring. If it looks like the appearance will be acceptable (after it's caulked) then I'll pull it up and install it for real. If it seems like it might be too much of a gap then that'll mean re-doing the floor.

Thanks for the warning about tightening the bolts. I did read that before but I'm not sure how to know exactly the right tightness. It's a $170 bowl so I definitely don't want to break it.

Old 04-12-09, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
toilets bolts should just need to be snugged down. they are designed to hold the flange to the toilet not to hold the toilet "down"