Flapper won't seal over drain

Old 04-11-09, 05:51 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flapper won't seal over drain

I've replaced an old corroded flapper with a new one, but when the flush lever is released, the flapper doesn't seal over the drain. The drain hole seems to be in good shape, and the chain to the flush lever seems long enough. I'm not sure what is supposed to make sure the flapper actually closes over the drain when the flush lever is released. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by awagner99; 04-11-09 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 09:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Does it seal if you push it by hand? Are there different holes on the lever to attach the chain? Use the hole directly over the flapper.

Old 04-12-09, 04:48 AM
A
Yes, if I push and hold it in, it seals. Otherwise it doesn't. I don't remember there being more than one hole in the lever.

Old 04-12-09, 05:28 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The chain should should be pulling at a 90% angle to the flapper. That's why I asked if there were other holes in the lever.

Old 04-12-09, 08:33 AM
S
It is possible you may simply have a bad flapper.flappers are molded rubber or vinyl and sometimes they come out wrong.If you can't get it to work right by adjusting the chain and being certain the lip doesn't have any build up on it try replacing it with a new flapper.

Also there are a few toilets that take a specific flapper.If yours is one of those and you put a so-called universal flapper in it it will not seal.

Old 04-12-09, 08:36 AM
A
Thanks for the reply. The flapper that's in there is brand new - I already replaced the old one. I'll get the model number of the toilet and see if it needs a special one. Given my lack of handy skills, it's probably more likely to be something I'm doing wrong than a bad brand new flapper Thanks again!

Old 04-12-09, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
it is either a bad "new" flapper or it is the wrong flapper

Old 04-12-09, 03:45 PM
A
Actually, I got it to work. It's one of those that has both the ears and the circular part. I had forgotten to cut the circular part out, but didn't think it was interfering. But when I took it back out, cut that off, and put it back on by the ears, it seemed to work fine. Thanks guys!

Old 04-12-09, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yep, if you have the ears the ring has to be removed or the flapper gets confused

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: