Toilet "refills?" (for a second of two) every few hours

Old 04-15-09, 05:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Toilet "refills?" (for a second of two) every few hours

I just installed a new Kohler toilet (Class 5 Flush) and it "refills" a few seconds every few hour. I put refills in quotation marks since I am not sure what is happening. It makes strange sound (sounds like refilling...) a second or two at most and stops. I checked the water level but all seems fine. It is at least an inch below the over flow level, and the level does not change as far as I can tell. I don't think it is possible to release that much water in a short period of time. Did anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions? It is really annoying. Thank you for your help.

Kevin

Old 04-15-09, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You probably need a new flapper or gasket on your flush valve. If its that new..call and get a new one..or spend $3 and get it fixed right now. Or adjust the fill valve level down a bit and see if it continues.

Old 04-16-09, 07:05 AM
B
Dear Gunguy45,

Thank you for your response. The water lever is below the fill level. I happened to caught when it "refillied." Water was below the water line. I guess you are saying that the flapper is not sealed completely and therefore water is leaking to the bowl?

Old 04-16-09, 07:10 AM
S
Flappers are made of molded rubber or vinyl and it's somewhat common for them to just not come out right.A new one often solves the problem.

Are you sure the chain is adjusted to the right length?Too much tightness or slack can cause problems.

Otherwise put on a new flapper and see if it keeps leaking.

Old 04-16-09, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Yes..it's prob leaking past..possibly just a drop at a time. A small leak would be hard to see or hear.

Sometimes even new parts aren't quite right.

You could try raising the level slightly and see if the addl water pressure helps it seal.

Old 04-16-09, 03:39 PM
B
Thank you. I will try as you suggested.

Old 04-17-09, 04:42 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Make sure the end of the tube from the fill valve to the overflow is above the overflow and not down in it. If it is that will also cause the problem you have.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 04-20-09, 08:03 AM
B
Thank you everyone.

I think it is fixed. No more leaking. I did not have to replace it with new one but I cleaned the flapper with soap. Also raised the refill tube. Anyway, no more leaking. Thank you again everyone.

Kevin

Old 04-20-09, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Glad its fixed..it was probably the tube as woodbutcher suggested...I always forget to mention that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: