bathtub leaks not dripping but seeping from the floor

Old 04-17-09, 03:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathtub leaks not dripping but seeping from the floor

After I take my shower,I go to work and I'm noticing water on my foundation by the bathroom.Cut the wall behind the tub to expose the pipes then turned the water on and saw the water slowly seep out from under the wood. the pipe looks to be in the cement. I have no idea how long this has been going on but very wet under the tub. its on the foundation (slab) I put towels under there to catch some of the water. I know I need to get this fixed but finances are very limited right now.

I was wondering if I use the other bathtub , would it be connected to the same pipes??? would I have the same problems????

Old 04-17-09, 04:12 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
HI, The tub only leaks when you turn on the water, that would lead me to believe the leak would be on the other side of the faucet. Maybe the tub spout or shower, but more likley the drain, You can use the other tub and when you find out what is leaking let us know maybe we can help.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 04-17-09, 07:17 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like a drain problem to me too but to be sure fill a 5 gallon bucket from a garden house & pour it in the tub. If it leaks, it's the drain.

Old 04-17-09, 08:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
do the test pulpo mentioned. if it is the drain it is most likely the tub shoe which is the part you see the water drain to. sometimes it is just a matter of replacing the rubbber washer on it and other times the whole waste and overflow needs replaced. we cant say what needs done from here though

Old 04-18-09, 04:57 AM
A
thanks for the replys ya'll.. I've done the drain test, but it only leaks when the water is on. Its coming from betweeen the wood the cement. (sorry don't know the proper terms) I have a pic but don't know how to post it.there is a copper pipe buried there and i believe the leak is there and travling across the wood to other places..

Last edited by AnitaB; 04-18-09 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-18-09, 05:18 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It bet it's the O ring on the faucet stem. The water is running down the pipe & you don't see it. Run the water & touch the pipe with your hand. The highest wet point is where the leak is.

Old 04-18-09, 05:23 AM
A
Good morning Pulpo, guess we got here at the same time. I'll check that also hopefully thats it, but I fear its under the cement...

Old 04-18-09, 06:31 AM
A
just got out of the shower

before I got in I wrapped the 3 pipes with paper towels and saw the middle one was wet. after I get off work I'll cut some more wall and see about where the leak is..

Does this mean i have 2 leaks??? I don't see whee the pipe under the cement connects to the 3 pipes, for it to run.

I do appreciate all the input.. and info thanks agian

Old 04-18-09, 06:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do I see 2 three quarter inch hot water baseboard heating pipes running horizontally in that picture? Is one of the 1/2 inch domestic water feed pipes leaking on to the heating pipes & confusing you? I've had that happen to me.

Old 04-19-09, 10:52 AM
A
yes, the hot water heater is on the opposite side of the wall to the bathtub.

I take my shower today and just ever so slightly move the shower head and no leaks!!!Is that even possible?? the paper towels that I wrapped around the different pipes today were dry yesterday the one on the middle pipe was wet.(faucet pipes) there is a little water on the cement but, my take,,uummmm that got there before I moved the shower head.. maybe...

I'll keep an eye out for more leaks since I already tore up my wall, Maybe get a new shower head, about time for one anyway..

Old 04-19-09, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
it sounds as if one of the pipes, either the one to the tub spout or the one to the shower is leaking, if it is any other pipe except the drain it would be constantly seeping

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: