Dents in bathtub

Old 05-03-09, 11:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dents in bathtub

My old cast iron clawfeet bathtub has some deep dents in the rim
Im wondering if I could use BONDO or something similar used for auto body repair to fill the dents before refinishing it or is there something else ?
Thank you

Old 05-04-09, 12:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
that would be the way to go as far as i know

Old 05-04-09, 06:50 AM
E
Are these 'dents' part of a poor casting? I did not know you could really even 'dent' cast iron. You'd think it shatter. Are these 'dents' original with the casting, I wonder? Or are these rather 'chip outs', as opposed to 'dents'? And is it just the thick layer of porcelain that has say chips missing from it, that go down to the cast iron?

If this is the case, you'd think any pro in the field of refinishing would be using something that is compatable with adhering permanently to cast and porcelain. Something a little more scientific than just some body filler. You'd think some sort of polymer resin of some sort.

Old 05-04-09, 11:24 PM
R
Thank you for replies ,after some sanding it looks like Moon craters!
Photobucket

Old 05-05-09, 08:40 AM
E
Oh good. You are a photo taker. But in your photo, I can't see any relief. Could you redo it by making sure the flash works or try to flood the area in light and take at various angles of acuteness so we can see these "craters"? It might even be best to turn off the flash and flood the light at an acute angle instead. Everyone in this forum likes pictures anyway. It is like "show and tell' used to be in school.

Depending on what you really have going on, and not getting expertise advise on a real professional-type bonding agent, I'd be tempted to call a (casrt iron) bathtub company, like Kohler (Kohler, Wi.), for example, to talk to one of their engineers as far as what their factory does with flaws found in tubs. To see what they use, as a 'filler', if they do.

Old 05-05-09, 10:34 AM
yes. bad lighting and hard to see what you are talking about.

in that picture it looks like the tub was painted

Old 05-05-09, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hmmm..I can pretty much see it ok it seems..maybe I'm just over interpreting it. Almost looks like porosities of some sort, but the porcelain isn't normally that thick I thought.

There are products out there better than bondo, more like an epoxy type filler.

Old 05-05-09, 09:42 PM
R
Thank you all for replies,sorry about the picture not been good enough the ''craters'' are deep into the cast and they reminded me of the holes I use to see when fixing my rusted out VW that is why I thought of some autobody filler,probably some epoxy filler is the way to go
Cheers

Old 05-06-09, 02:48 AM
i dont see any cast iron showing. as gunguy said that is some thick enamel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: