Bathtub Stopper STUCK! Help!

Old 05-07-09, 09:40 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub Stopper STUCK! Help!

Hello,

Two days ago my bathtub suddenly stopped draining while taking a shower... I thought it was a clog, so I went to work (with water still in the tub) and thought it would drain out. However when I got back from work, the tub still had water (although a tiny bit managed to drain out).

So far I've tried using a plunger, coat hanger, and baking soda/vinegar/hot water to try to clear the clog. Nothing has worked so far.

At this point I'm thinking it's not a clog, but the stopper is stuck in the overflow pipe. I took the faceplate off and disconnected the lever, and tried using channel locks to pull up on the rod... the thing won't move and I gave it a lot of force!

Anyone have any other ideas I can try? I really can't figure out how to fix this...

Thanks,
Matt

Old 05-07-09, 12:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Matt, welcome to the forums! You can't plunge a tub very successfully since it is looped to the overflow drain. Get some penetrating lubricant and spray in the overflow tube and let it soak in. You may be more successful in pulling out the stopper at that point. Can you twist it at all? Try pushing then pulling to allow the penetrating lubricant to work. I say penetrating lubricant, not WD40 as it is a water displacement product, and won't penetrate as good as something like liquid wrench.

Old 05-07-09, 12:19 PM
G
Thanks! Will give it a try.

The rod does twist, it just doesn't go anywhere when I pull on it.

- Matt

Old 05-07-09, 06:06 PM
G
I gave the penetrant a try, but after letting it soak for a few hour still no luck.

I have continued pouring the baking soda/vinegar/hot water down the overflow pipe, it bubbles up from the reaction, but then the water just comes back out the drain. However, after about an hour, the water is completely gone and the drain is clear... but when I pour water in again, it gets backed up as normal.

Anyone know what's going on? Am I going to have to take apart the drain pipe?

Thanks!
Matt

Old 05-07-09, 06:33 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can you get to the underside (unfinished basement or crawlspace?). Taking it apart will allow you to investigate the stopper malady while you are at it.

Old 05-07-09, 08:04 PM
G
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Can you get to the underside (unfinished basement or crawlspace?). Taking it apart will allow you to investigate the stopper malady while you are at it.
I can somewhat get to it... there are some 2x4's that are in the way, but the main problem is that there is a 2x8 (?) that is right in front of the drain pipe, so it would have to be cut out if I were to be able to access the pipe... but I'm not sure if it's safe to cut out...

- Matt

Old 05-07-09, 08:31 PM
no no no. do not cut the joist. if you have a view of the drain you should be able to get to it without cutting.

plumbers sometimes have to be contortionists

Old 05-07-09, 08:31 PM
G
Hm, something rather strange happened...

I ran my garbage disposal in my kitchen sink, and some of the water from that flowed back into my tub... which leads me to believe that the stopper is not stuck...

Now I have no idea what's going on!

- Matt

Old 05-07-09, 08:57 PM
you have a clogged/restricted main drain it seems

Old 05-07-09, 08:59 PM
G
Originally Posted by plumbermandan View Post
you have a clogged/restricted main drain it seems
All the drains in the rest of the house work fine though... nothing else gets backed up besides the tub!

- Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: