Toilet riser help please

Old 05-16-09, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet riser help please

I am trying to installa toilet riser on my toilet. The floor around the flange has been replaced and the flange is even with the floor. My plumber tells me that I cannot install it because the flange should be above the floor. What I would like to do is purchase a PBVC flange, saw off the bottom pipe and keep the flange part and screw\glue it to the existing flange to bring it up to level. Does this seem feasible ?

Also, the bolts do not stay well in the exisiting flange.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-09, 08:30 AM
There are items already available for your situation premade.Most hardware stores and plumbing supplies that sell to the public carry at least a couple of them.There are a variety around.

Old 05-16-09, 08:44 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I would buy everything new.

Old 05-16-09, 04:55 PM
LIke what, to be specific ?

Old 05-16-09, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ok, not sure what others are reading, but other than the bolts pulling through the flange, you don't have a real problem. The flange should be level with, or slightly above the finished floor. Hopefully it is supported as is by the subfloor. If so, then get a flange extender or spacer (brain can't think of the right name!!!), caulk between it and the old flange and secure it to the subfloor with brass or stainless (preferred) screws.

Then set the toilet.

Now, if your old flange is metal and rusted, then yes, you should cut out the old pipe with an inside cutter and install a coupling and new stainless steel flange.

Old 05-16-09, 08:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Gunguy One of us misunderstood the original post. I think he means that the new floor is level with the top of the flange when it should be level with the bottom of it or a little lower. That's why he wants to raise it but there probably isn't any play in the piping.

Old 05-16-09, 10:27 PM
Some toilets are just fine setting them on a flange level with the finished floor. If not, you can sometimes squish the wax a little the make it deeper or purchase an extended wax ring available at most big box stores. If the top of flange is up to about 3/8" ABOVE the finished floor, everything should be fine. If the top of flange is below the finished floor level, either a flange replacement or a closet riser kit will be needed. The newer ones are so sweet, just screw them over the old flange... no caulking needed as it has a rubber gasket under the spacer. You may need to set the bolts before screwing down the riser flange.
Any flanges higher than that level will need to be checked as a needed.