drain assembly too big?

Old 05-22-09, 06:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy drain assembly too big?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so excuse me if this is a silly question.

I'm having a problem with the drain assembly that came with a new faucet that I just installed. The metal part at the top that sits inside the recess at the bottom of the sink seems to be too big for the recess. It sits up proud a bit above the sink level and as a consequence the water doesn't all drain out of the sink. I'm left with a little puddle around the bottom of the sink. Is there a standard size for these metal parts? The old one (which fit fine) was 2 1/8" in diameter while the new one is about 2 1/2" in diameter. I've noticed that the drain in my tub is about 2 1/2" as well. Do you think it's possible that the manufacturer (Rubi) included a bathtub assembly which is larger than a sink assembly by accident? If any body knows the standard sizes that would be a big help as well for when I take it back. Thanks!

Dave

Old 05-22-09, 08:41 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
DaveR666,

Welcome to the forums.

The pop-up valve for a lavy is 2-1/8". You can bundle up the entire faucet that you bought and return it and get a replacement that has the right pop-up valve, or you can buy a pop-up assy. and install it, keeping the faucet you bought.

Old 05-23-09, 05:54 AM
D
Thanks, I had a feeling. Do you think it's actually a bathtub assembly instead of a sink one?

Old 05-23-09, 08:54 AM
L
Probably, but I'm wondering how that mix up could occur at the factory.

Old 05-24-09, 11:01 AM
I've encountered this situation countless times as the products are just this way, spec'd at different standards and they are not governed by any regulation.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean:

If you look at image two you'll see the problem I encountered. This was not a faucet/drain problem, this was sink manufacturing problem. Someone didn't make that sink thick enough.

The alteration was closing off the overflow holes as the sink didn't even have an overflow design. I offered no guarantees that this setup would not leak, given the known defect of the sink that I did not create.

Old 05-24-09, 07:38 PM
L
Dunbar,

I've run across that as well, and did what I could to make it work, as you did, and with no warranty against leaks.

DaveR666,

You can try exchanging the entire faucet and drain assy, but you probably have to go to a different faucet. If you like the faucet, buy a new pop-up assy. and install it instead. You MIGHT get a discount on that, but don't plan on it.

Old 05-24-09, 08:32 PM
I have also run across some of the plastic drain types to have a larger outside diameter for the chrome (metal) piece in the sink compared to a standard Moen, Delta, Kohler, etc

It is also quite common to find the beveling inside the bottom of the sink to be less than it should be.

I would try a metal replacement pop-up assembly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: