Toilet being extremely weird...

Old 05-25-09, 02:43 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet being extremely weird...

My mom's toilet's acting funny and I have no idea what the problem is. It flushes fine. However, when it goes to refill the tank, the water doesn't come out that tube to the vertical pipe in the middle of the tank like it's supposed to. Instead... it SLOWLY comes out the top of the plastic pipe in the corner that the water comes IN to the toilet from. That vertical piece which the float thing's connected to. Now here's the weird part. After I flush it, and it's dripping out of the top like that... I'll completely turn off the water to the toilet with that valve on the wall. When I turn the water flow back on... it starts coming out of the tube it's supposed to. EVERY time.. I don't get it.. anyone got an idea?

Old 05-25-09, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Depending on the type of fill valve (the assembly that the tube connects to) you have..you can take the cap off the top and buy a new gasket for about $3 at almost any hardware store or home center. For about $8 you can replace the whole assembly with a Fluidmaster fill valve, but its a little more work.

It could have mineral build up or just be worn out. If it was me, I'd replace the whole valve and be done with it. Also get a stainless steel hose for the supply if you don't have one.

Old 05-25-09, 03:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, I'll check that out.

Edit: I did what you said and replaced the whole fill valve assembly. It's working now, thanks for the help.

Last edited by Azhrei; 05-25-09 at 05:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: