Toilet Outlet Size??

Old 06-11-09, 07:34 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Outlet Size??

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering when you are purchasing a toilet what does it mean by the "outlet size"? At Home Depot they had the sizes of 2 1/8, 2 1/4, etc. Is that where the toilet meets the flange? If so how do I know what that size is before removing my current toilet? (I would like to purchase the toilet, THEN remove the old one!).

Thanks in advance,

JR

Old 06-12-09, 12:47 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
All toilets use the same size flange so whatever toilet you buy will fit the existing flange IF you get the correct "rough in" dimension. The rough in dimension os from the finished wall to the center of the flange. Since the center of the flange is the dimension where the hold-down bolts are located all you need to do is measure from the wall to one of the bolts. Most likely this dimension will be 12 inches as that is the "standard" rough in dimension. There are also 10 inch and 14 inch rough in toilets available but they are not as common as the 12 inch.

The "outlet size" is a measurement of the diameter if the internal passageway of the toilet. Presumably a larger outlet size would be less susceptible to clogging but this is not always the case in the real world.

Old 06-12-09, 12:22 PM
P
Thanks Furd,

When I do the measurement it turns out to be 13 inches, which is directly between 12 and 14 inches. The bowl of the toilet does say "Standard" on it, but is that for a brand type or to tell me that the rough measurement should be 12 inches since you said that was standard?

Thanks again,

JR

Old 06-12-09, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
That is a brand ...not a measurement..

If the toilet is new it should say somewhere on the box or paperwork. If it's not new, you can take a measurement from the back of the tank to the center of the mounting bolts.

What measurement did you take? The toilet..or the flange of the piping?

Old 06-12-09, 12:59 PM
P
The toilet is not new, it is the one that is in place right now. I measured from the wall to the center of the bolt that goes into the flange.

The measurement from the back of the toilet bowl to the center of the bolt is 9 1/2 to 10 inches.

Old 06-12-09, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...you would need to measure from the back of the TANK..not the bowl. But I'd guess that you have some room between the tank and the wall...which would indicate a 12".

98% of toilets you can buy off the shelf at a supply store or home center will be 12" rough in. Most places only carry a few in 10". And I'm sure furd is correct..but I've never seen a 14".

Oh..and if the gap between the wall and the tank is large enough to cause some objectionable "wobble", you can put some pieces of pipe insulation behind it to damp it.

Are you looking for a replacement toilet?

Old 06-12-09, 01:20 PM
F
This image shows the concept of "rough in" dimension better than I can describe.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...stallation.jpg
Note that you measure from the wall and not from the baseboard.

Old 06-12-09, 02:07 PM
P
Thanks guys.

Furd, that is how I originally measured it and it is 13 inches.

Gunguy, I am going to replace the toilet. I'm sorry I mispoke earlier. It is 9 1/2 to 10 inches from the back of the TANK to the bolt. I'm probably going to purchase it this weekend or next. It depends on how quick I can get the ceramic tile chipped out and the new tile set, grouted and sealed.

Old 06-12-09, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
if you have the measurement correct...you must have a real big gap between the wall and tank...yes? If not..something isn't adding up to me.

Old 06-12-09, 02:18 PM
F
The 13 inch figure would likely mean that you have about 1-1/2 to 2 inches between the back of the tank and the back of the wall. A 12 inch (standard) rough in toilet will fit just fine.

GG, the back of my toilet tank is slightly curved and I have between 1-1/2 and 2 inches between the tank and the wall depending on where you measure.

Old 06-12-09, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...gotcha furd...just seems like a large gap for the average home. Most times its just the opposite..not enough room.

Old 06-12-09, 07:42 PM
P
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm getting the new toilet tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: