Toilet handle stays in "flushed" position - runs if not reset manually

Old 06-13-09, 12:46 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet handle stays in "flushed" position - runs if not reset manually

Hi,

So my toilet - a kohler low flush model doens't reset the handle. It flushes fine, but if you don't lift the handle back up, it just runs (and the flap stays wide open). If you flush and then reset the handle is seems the flap works fine. I've tried all sorts of variations on the chain length, and even adding a bit of weight to the chain, but nothing causes the handle to reset itself.

Suggestions? Is there some particular adjustment I should make? I've already tried a new flap. Do I need a new handle or some other part?

Thanks!

Old 06-13-09, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yes, the handles do wear out...most are plastic or cheap pot metal. Make sure the nut is tight (its a LH thread I believe), and that the handle moves freely without any sticky spots. If you decide to get a new one, try to find an exact replacement..the generic ones can be sort of problematic on if they work well or not.

Old 06-13-09, 08:18 AM
O
Thanks. The nut on the handle is supposed to be tight, right? Or might looser work better? Is there some sort of grease or lubrication I could use too?

Old 06-13-09, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Yes..it should be tight..and I never put any type of grease, though I guess a little silicone plumbers grease wouldn't hurt.

Old 06-13-09, 11:06 PM
O
One more symptom - If you reset the handle before the flush is completed (the bowl starts to drain), the flap closes and the flush doesn't complete.

Does that change the recommendation?

Old 06-15-09, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
After looking at both my toilets (one new, the other probably 15 y/o), the handle always returns to the start position even as the toilet is still flushing. Then the flap closes as the tank level drops.

You may be able to check yours by disconnecting the chain, and manually lifting the flap with the chain, then leave enough slack so that its free to close as the level drops.

You can also check the handle at this time, if it doesn't return to the "start" position on its own, then I'd say the handle is the problem.

I'm not sure why resetting the handle would cause the flapper to close..unless the chain isn't adjusted correctly, it should have a little slack, but not too much and the excess should be trimmed off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: