Remove sink faucet stem

Old 07-03-09, 09:44 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove sink faucet stem

How do you remove a bathroom sink faucet stem? I removed the retaining clip and the stem does not want to come out. There is some corrosion on it.

Old 07-06-09, 02:27 PM
F
I am having the same problem with a couple of shower faucets in my house. Like Steve I can remove everything but the insides. I purchased the tool to remove the stem, however it is not coming out. I do not want to pull too hard in fear of damaging something.

Old 07-06-09, 05:12 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
For both of you it will help if you identify the manufacturer and model of the faucets that you are attempting to repair. Different manufacturers use different styles and different methods to build their faucets. A few pictures are always helpful in troubleshooting.

Old 07-08-09, 08:40 AM
F
Originally Posted by furd View Post
For both of you it will help if you identify the manufacturer and model of the faucets that you are attempting to repair. Different manufacturers use different styles and different methods to build their faucets. A few pictures are always helpful in troubleshooting.
Not sure about Steve, but my home is older and there are no distinguishing marks to determine the manufacturer. I was told that most likely it is Moen since they were the only ones installing single handle levers over twenty years ago. In fact since mine has the carthridge I am sure it's Moen.

Old 07-09-09, 05:43 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Sorry to be so late in returning.

Delta had a single handle twenty plus years ago although it used a ball and not a cartridge. It was also a POS as far as I'm concerned.

If you have a Moen, and it is stuck then you need the puller. Maybe this is what you have or maybe you just have the tool that (hopefully) turns the cartridge slightly when you use a wrench. The Moen cartridge can get stuck mighty tight, especially if you have hard water.

(image courtesy of Terry Love)

Loosen the top screw, screw the big nut up and then place the tool over the cartridge stem. Turn the top screw down until it stops and then turn the big nut down and it jacks the cartridge out. You may need to turn the cross handle back and forth as you tighten the big nut to get it to break loose.

Old 07-09-09, 08:33 PM
F
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Sorry to be so late in returning.

Delta had a single handle twenty plus years ago although it used a ball and not a cartridge. It was also a POS as far as I'm concerned.

If you have a Moen, and it is stuck then you need the puller. Maybe this is what you have or maybe you just have the tool that (hopefully) turns the cartridge slightly when you use a wrench. The Moen cartridge can get stuck mighty tight, especially if you have hard water.

Loosen the top screw, screw the big nut up and then place the tool over the cartridge stem. Turn the top screw down until it stops and then turn the big nut down and it jacks the cartridge out. You may need to turn the cross handle back and forth as you tighten the big nut to get it to break loose.
Yes Furd, I purchased a Danco Puller. I think that I need to tighten the nut and let it pull the carthridge instead of me pulling. Thanks.

Old 07-10-09, 06:01 AM
S
If at all possible be sure to use Moen parts to repair the faucet.Danco parts are of lesser quality and can be troublesome.It's better than nothing and in the years I've worked retail Danco reliability was something like 75 ok 25 not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: