Utility sink leaking

Old 07-05-09, 06:18 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Utility sink leaking

The right side of my utility sink in my basement is leaking. I asked my plumber to fix it & he said the sink is so old that the replacement parts are no longer available. He suggested I buy a new sink. I find this difficult to believe. Where on the sink/plumbing do I find the make/model of this so I can look it up for possible replacement parts myself? Thanks/Jina

Old 07-05-09, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you really mean the sink is leaking or that the drain is leaking or that the faucet is dripping or what.

If drain it should be standard size. You will have to measure to find out.
Where on the sink/plumbing do I find the make/model
Generally sink parts are not dependent on manufacturer.

Old 07-05-09, 08:44 AM
S
If it's the faucet that is leaking then it is brand and model dependent and age could well be a factor in finding the parts.If it is beyond simple repair and needs stems etc they must be exact and if this is a very old faucet it may be difficult or impossible to find those parts and replacement may be the only choice plus if it's so old you can find parts for it then it's probably a good idea to replace it because age can cause the brass of a faucet stem and related parts to wear and/or become brittle.

We do need more detail and pics would really help.

But I will say this:I doubt the person who told you to replace the "sink" was trying to rip you off or wasn't being pretty honest.

The way to pursue finding parts yourself is not through information like models or brands.The plumbing repair parts systems out there don't work that way.You would need to remove the old parts and take them to a plumbing supply that sells to the public or old full line hardware store,not a big box retail store,and let them attempt to match them for you.The replacement parts assortments etc are geared to work in this way only as the parts must match.

Old 07-05-09, 10:17 AM
Once had a lady who lived across the street from a remodel job I was doing ask me how much to install a new faucet. The plumber who had told her the existing faucet was too old to be repaired had quoted her a high dollar amount. Faucet just needed new seats and washers. Didn't even have to go to a plumbing supply. The neighborhood chain hardware had them. So I'm a bit more suspicious.

Of course we don't know what is leaking and there is a possibility if it is a faucet mounted in the deck the hole spacing is non standard. Once ran in to a kitchen sink with 6" spacing. IIRC I used a bar sink faucet. Even for non standard spacing there are options like individual faucets or wall mount faucet.

Old 07-05-09, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Or (depending on the sink material) you can drill a hole and use a one hole kitchen faucet with a backing plate to cover the old holes. I did that with my utility sink. Used a pull out sprayer high rise kitchen faucet. Wife loves it for watering plants or rinsing larger items in the utility tub.

Old 07-05-09, 11:45 AM
S
Welcome to Sherlock Holmes Plumbing Company where every job is a mystery.

Let's hope it's all elementary my dear Watson.

Yep it could be a plumber hoping to a bigger job or it could be a really old sink with old double spouts and worn out stems etc.

What caught my eye was "the right side was leaking" and to me that suggests two seperate faucets....

Or it might also be leaking around a packing nut or something...and have a central spout.

Old 07-05-09, 01:24 PM
Sink Leak

Do you have a two tub laundry sink? is one of the tubs leaking?is it plastic? is it leaking in the body or drain area? I need more info., sorry.

Old 07-05-09, 03:21 PM
T
It is a double tub sink. It is porcelain. I put the plug in & the right side leaks onto the floor. Jina

Old 07-05-09, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Jina..unless its real odd (no Plumber here) he should be able to fix it if its the strainer or a piping problem. Now if theres a crack or rusted spot in the bowl itself..thats a different story and it may need replaced.

No sure where are Plumbing Pro's are today... (if I dissed someone who is a Pro..sorry bout that..lol)

Old 07-06-09, 03:07 PM
Laundry Tub

Originally Posted by thimblyjina View Post
It is a double tub sink. It is porcelain. I put the plug in & the right side leaks onto the floor. Jina
You still haven't said exactly where the leak is, but if that is a porcelain over cast iron I have doubts that it can be repaired,sorry.

Old 07-06-09, 03:33 PM
Are you saying there is a hole in the sink? Are you saying water leaks around the drain? Does this plug go into the drain. Everyone here is gurssing but your last statement confused the issue even more.
I put the plug in & the right side leaks onto the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: