Leaky tub

Old 07-12-09, 01:24 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky tub

I recently remodeled a bathroom. I installed the tub and tested it out and did not see any leaks. I installed a new tub/shower fixture. Again, I didn't detect any leaking. After I tiled above the bathtub, my wife took a shower. I went under the house into the crawlspace to see if there were any leaks that I may have missed, just as a precaution. When I was down there, I found water. I got my wife to turn the shower back on. When the tub is on, there are no leaks. But, when the shower is on, the sub floor leaks into the crawlspace. I have no idea what it could be. I went into the room behind the shower to cut away dry-wall and see if the faucet was leaking behind the wall. It's dry as a bone. I also thought about the tile job. As far as I know, I did it properly. This is the second one I've done. The first hasn't had any problems. I installed hardiboard and my wife sealed the grout. Besides, I'm not sure how it would have led to this much water as it's a steady leak.... Anyway, I was wondering if ya'll had any ideas.

Thanks,

Vince

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 04:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My only thoughts are since it only leaks when the shower is on that the leak is coming from the piping to the shower head or the shower is spraying water somewhere around the tub edge etc that doesn't get water on it when the tub faucet is on.

I would turn on the shower and watch the water pattern,see where it goes and try to determine if there is a leak area plus look from the back with it on and see if any water comes down from above the faucet running down the wall etc.

If the faucet has a diverter that is like a stem or is built into the faucet and is not on the tub spout see if there is leakage from it when the shower is on coming out around it and going down behind the wall.

Old 07-12-09, 05:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or the stand pipe for the shower head, maybe the elbow at the top.