Thin-set or Construction Adhesive on tile ceiling

Old 08-05-09, 08:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Thin-set or Construction Adhesive on tile ceiling

Will construction adhesive hold ceramic tile to the ceiling of a shower long term? I am out of thin-set and trying to avoid a run to HD, but have plenty of Loc-Tite. Tiles are 8x10 and ceiling height is 7 1/2', and I am working on a ladder. I just thought it would be less labor, but only if it will hold up (or upside down) over time.

Old 08-05-09, 08:42 AM
S
I'm going to step into this thread not to answer the question but to try to prevent possible confusion."Loctite" is a brand name used by the manufacturer,Henkel,for a variety of products.Yes there is a construction adhesive with this brand name however in most cases the term "loctite" is used for the threadlocker line of products,which would obviously not be suitable for this useage.

I'm in retail and you would be surprised at how many people would actually read something like this thread and believe it referred to threadlocker.

Old 08-05-09, 08:51 AM
S
Sorry for being brand specific. I considered that about 1 second after I posted my question. To be perfectly clear, I am referring to construction adhesive.

Old 08-05-09, 03:50 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Not a good idea. Nothing worse than tile falling off the ceiling and hitting you in the head when you are using the shower. Take a ride to the store and get another bag of thinset.

Old 08-12-09, 09:44 AM
S
Good luck using thin set above yer head........I would use the construction adhesive....your probably sticking this directly to the drywall anyway ,which will eventually fail unless you have it sealed real good and its green board.

I would use green board and then prime and seal it,then use a good construction adhesive that is listed for this use and then make shure to use a non sanded grout that is specifically for showers ,plus a good vent fan .

The proper thing to do is use tile backer screwed into the joists up there over primed and sealed green board,but I am shure the project is past that stage already.

Old 08-14-09, 09:30 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Good luck using thin set above yer head........
Done all the time. If you are having problems doing this, then you don't know how to do it.

I would use the construction adhesive....your probably sticking this directly to the drywall anyway ,which will eventually fail unless you have it sealed real good and its green board.
Ok, a few things here. You need 12" oc spacing for greenboard on a ceiling if you plan on tiling it. Sealing greenboard????? And just for the record, thinset generally will not bond well to sealed surfaces, except for products that are made specifically to be used with thinset.

The proper thing to do is use tile backer screwed into the joists up there over primed and sealed green board,but I am shure the project is past that stage already.
Why would you install tile backer over greenboard. Use one or the other, not both and stop with the sealing nonsense. The cement board would clearly be a better choice, but even regular drywall on the ceiling will be fine.

You can use a good modified thinset over drywall on a ceiling even in a shower area. It doesnt get direct spray like the walls will.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: