do I need a flush valve seat?

Old 08-08-09, 09:08 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
do I need a flush valve seat?

I have an older home. The toilet is an Eljer model with a date of 1968 stamped into the china tank.

The tank was leaking water recently, so I disassembled to replace the cloth washers. At the same time, I thought I would "refresh" the warped tank ball.

In the process, I think I removed something crucial. The toilet constantly runs and the tank ball does not seat. The overflow tube (where the bowl refill tube goes) is molded into the tank. Therefore, I have a flapper with actuater arm affixed to a tank bolt instead of a one that affixes to the overflow tube.

The flapper is in DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE CHINA FLUSH OPENING. I think there needs to be a seal or something. No???

My other toilet is an American Standard with standard flush flapper. I examined this one and there is a piece of PVC-like tubing extending thru the flush valve surrounded by valve seats (or so I think those are the correct terms).

What do I need to properly seat my other tank ball flapper. I tried adding a cheapo valve seat, but I think I'm missing something. What should it adhere to - too big for china opening.

I've been battling this for weeks and wasting water. HELP???!!!

Old 08-09-09, 08:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Does the Eljer have the style flapper that rides straight up & down with rod in the middle of it? If so, disconnnet the rod from the handle & set it in the seat. Does it still run?

Old 08-09-09, 09:37 PM
U
Old 08-09-09, 09:40 PM
U
The flush assemby/flapper looks like this...
http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagereq...=C&newsize=200

Old 08-10-09, 05:08 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
To be completely honest, I never dealt with that style before. Maybe someone else can fill the gap.

Old 08-11-09, 03:43 PM
J
If the date is '68, time to replace the toilet. A new low flush units will save considerable water, and could have been installed and running while we were typing. My choice would be Kohler Wellworth, not exppensive, and they work. If it is a 68 color, sorry, you will not match that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: