toilet tank built inside wall

Old 08-12-09, 05:07 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy toilet tank built inside wall

Hi! Anybody out there know how to fix running toilet when tank is built into wall? (behind tiles) Parts all look different, and can't really see into it so well. Called plumber and he ran the other way.
thanx

Old 08-12-09, 03:32 PM
If some brain dead tiled the tank into the wall the only way to fix it is to tear it out, I have never seen something like that!

Old 08-12-09, 03:51 PM
J
I might not run the other way, but I would advise you that it is likely to be expensive. Never heard of that, but a pic might help us.

Old 08-12-09, 03:55 PM
M
hanging toilet

Originally Posted by shacko
If some brain dead tiled the tank into the wall the only way to fix it is to tear it out, I have never seen something like that!
Hi Shacko, thanks for your input!

My wife just informed me this thing is called a "hanging toilet", and supposed to be fancy. Also easier to wash floor since toilet bowl is attached to wall instead of floor. So standard to have hidden tank in wall, in a shelflike tiled protrubance. But as I wrote, all my previous toilet-fixing experience isn't helping me as different parts etc...

Old 08-12-09, 04:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sure it doesn't have a Sloan valve? Pics can be posted at Flikr, Photobucket, or Imageshack.us.

Old 08-12-09, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'll go with Ray until the pix show up. Surely you have a Sloan valve, which negates the need for a tank.

Old 08-13-09, 02:20 PM
Wall Hung Toilet

Now we are getting closer to figuring out what you have; it's a wall hung toilet, but we need the brand and model no. to help.

Old 08-13-09, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Anyone notice the "Israel" in the location?

Old 08-13-09, 04:04 PM
J
says USA, Isreal???????? Could be a wall hung, but they have more or less normal stuff in the tanks, and not in the wall.

Old 08-13-09, 04:15 PM
Have to be a pretty thick wall. At first I thought the poster meant mounted on the wall. Years ago I saw a wall hung in a house. It had a standard tank.

Old 08-13-09, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thats why I brought it up. The retro style tanks are pretty common..esp in old houses..but tank inside or even inset into the wall..????

Old 08-13-09, 04:30 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Thats why I brought it up. The retro style tanks are pretty common..esp in old houses..but tank inside or even inset into the wall..????
doesn't sound inset to me:

So standard to have hidden tank in wall, in a shelflike tiled protrubance.

still sounds like a really odd installation though. Maybe it;s a high tank but why one would build a wall around the tank is beyond me.

hey guys, check this out:

Old 08-13-09, 04:39 PM
S
Old 08-13-09, 06:09 PM
I have never seen this, and I've been rode hard and put up wet for many years. Nap, I want the repair job on this toilet, please. Looks like at least 20 hours worth, with the tile and all.
Basically on any of them you have to ask yourself one question.....do you feel lucky? No way would I put something subject to leaks behind a wall.
Thanks guys for the education.

Larry

Old 08-14-09, 01:13 AM
M
my wall-hung toilet

Replying to all!

Thanks for your posts! Sorry for the confusion I'm causing! I'm currently located in Israel so they have a lot of European stuff maybe not seen much back home in USA...
Basically, they build a fake wall that sticks out. It's about 3 ft tall or so. Inside that protrubance is the tank. You flush by pressing on big buttons on that tiled fake wall. If u slide the cover of the buttons off, you see a rectangular opening in the tiled protrubance. If u know what u r doing, can fix it, but although using float system, the parts are different. At least I think so. Very hard to see into it because looking from the side and reaching down into it...still need pic? Anybody who ever dealt with this type of toilet will know what I mean...

Brand-I noticed have two identical looking. One is +GF+ and other is Schwab, both made in Germany. The one trying to fix is +GF+ DIN 19542 Mod 182.0400/Z

thanks

Old 08-14-09, 01:21 AM
M
hung toilet-ps

For Larry Chandler from Georgia!

Hi, U r welcome to fly from Georgia to Israel to fix it, but the airfare is on u!

And dont forget whole pooint here is to fix myself!

Old 08-14-09, 04:36 AM
Definitely a DIY project promoter. I was just commenting on the picture Nap provided with the nice tile and all. I have never worked on them, so I won't be of any help. It seems to be a decoratively nice way to install them, but from a mechanical standpoint, I would be afraid to tackle one. Good luck, and maybe some of the other guys have had experience with them.

Old 08-15-09, 12:11 PM
M
my still running "Wall Hung Toilet:

So Shacko, (or anybody else who knows?)

I provided brand and model number- any idea how to fix?

thnx!

Old 08-15-09, 12:29 PM
nap
I can't seem to find anything on the internet about the +GF+ or Schwab toilets.

Have you looked around to see what you could find? If you do find anything, throw a link up here and maybe somebody can run with that.

sorry, hopefully you don't have to use it real badly right now.

Old 08-15-09, 02:23 PM
Wall Hung Toilet

methefixer: I did find your toilet on the net, but I can"t find any break-down of the operating mechanism. I never seen that type of toilet in the U.S. You probably will be better off finding a forum in your area, someone had to put them in originally, sorry.

Old 08-15-09, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That wall is probably not wood, especially in Israel.

It would be very costly to attack it from the wall side since you could be trying to do it on tile surface on a ceramic or concrete block wall (3" OR 4" thick. - Very important visually costly to rebuild, especially if you have to re-hang the toilet.

If the built up wall is forming a shelf it would be better the enter through the top if is just needs a new valve mechanism. Also, much cheaper and easier to patch.

The tip off was the clean-up, because wood walls in a "wet" room (bath, shower, kitchen) are rare and a sign of cheap construction. I have been in 37 countries and have a hobby of collectiong 3 pictures of toilets in every place I was in. I might be described as a crapologist named after Sir Thomas Crapper that invented the modern flush toilet. - When you don't speak the language, what else is there to do?

Dick

Old 08-15-09, 04:18 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
I might be described as a crapologist named after Sir Thomas Crapper that invented the modern flush toilet. - When you don't speak the language, what else is there to do?

Dick
You're usually correct Dick but the flush toilet was patented long before Crapper was born. He did hold patents involving the improvement of the flush toilet though as well as several other inventions.

The invention itself is credited Sir John Harrington in the 16th century and the first patent for a flushing toilet was actually awarded to Alexander Cummings in 1775, 60 years before Crapper was born.

As well, Crapper was never knighted so he is not deserving of the title of Sir.

Old 08-16-09, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nap -

I will correct my friends in the U.K., but he is thought of as being the father of the modern toilet.

The word "invented" was too strong, but he is known for his developments that made it practical and common. - Maybe I watch too much of the History channel and paid more attention to the development instead of the early works/patents that never made is common and usable.

I stand corrected.

Anyway, I hope the top access is possible for the original poster is his situation to find out if it just the works inside. If not the shut-off access is another problem. Some condos and apartments may not have individual shut-offs for every unit. The parts are probably available somewhere, but the manufacturer/marketer name may have changed. - I assume he got a good enough access to source the parts numbers.

Dick

Old 08-16-09, 01:40 PM
Toilet In Wall

Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
Nap -

I will correct my friends in the U.K., but he is thought of as being the father of the modern toilet.

The word "invented" was too strong, but he is known for his developments that made it practical and common. - Maybe I watch too much of the History channel and paid more attention to the development instead of the early works/patents that never made is common and usable.

I stand corrected.

Anyway, I hope the top access is possible for the original poster is his situation to find out if it just the works inside. If not the shut-off access is another problem. Some condos and apartments may not have individual shut-offs for every unit. The parts are probably available somewhere, but the manufacturer/marketer name may have changed. - I assume he got a good enough access to source the parts numbers.

Dick
Like I told the original post I did fine the Schwab toilet on the net. That is a large outfit that makes lots of fixtures that hang on the wall; all with seni-concealed mechanisms, most have a small plate in the wall for service, they don't use tanks like a toilet in the U.S. I couldn't bring up the mechanism to get an idea what was involved to service. I think that the original post has modified the recommended access point, just info. Beer 4U2

Old 08-19-09, 01:52 PM
M
Hi again, Shacko! Hope u r well! Don't drink as much beer as your Emoticon!

Anyway, coudn't find Schwab toilets online-could u please send me the link?

Right now simply studying working toilet to understand how it works and then will hopefully tackle broken one. But diagram would sure help, since this ridiculous design doesnt allow u to see into it much, as I wrote b4...

thanx!

Old 08-19-09, 02:49 PM
Do you have a small video camera for your computer? That and a bright light may let you see. Just put it in the small hole careful to keep it dry. and use a bright flashlight.

Old 08-20-09, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by methefixer
Hi again, Shacko! Hope u r well! Don't drink as much beer as your Emoticon!

Anyway, coudn't find Schwab toilets online-could u please send me the link?

Right now simply studying working toilet to understand how it works and then will hopefully tackle broken one. But diagram would sure help, since this ridiculous design doesnt allow u to see into it much, as I wrote b4...

thanx!
Sorry but I lost the link, can't find it. It took me a long time to find it the first time. It's a large company that carries a lot of bathroom fixtures; all state of the art. The problem with the site is there is no breakdown on the operating systems that I could find, thats why I gave up. If you want to try all I did was use the letters and the name on the toilet and went surfing, luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: