Shower/tub only has scalding water

Old 08-18-09, 02:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower/tub only has scalding water

I read your how-to about replacing a mixer valve when a shower/tub only pours cold water. Is the same true if only scalding water comes out? I have adjusted the temp on the water tank but cannot get any cold water to come out. Is this also a mixer valve replacement problem??

Are all valves the same? Knob on shower/tub has a scald guard but obviously it is not working.

What kind of mixer valve do I ask for??

Thanks,

Susan

Old 08-19-09, 02:44 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do yo have single control valve?, rather than the two-knob variety?

If so, you probably either need a replacement cartridge, as something like a chunk of rust is blocking a passageway in it, or it is blocking the passageway in the mixer itself.

To find out which, - you'd have to shut off the water at your meter or pressure tank (if you have a well), then release the pressure in the lines by opening a valve, that is below the tub mixer valve level - even flushing the toilet helps - and then remove the cartridge from the mixer. Turn off the valve just above the water heater. Then, you turn back on the main water valve only, and see if cold water comes out.

If you do this, you have to guard against water flooding down behind the shower wall, or violently shooting to the back of the tub. You need assistance with someone turning on the water at the main valve for just a couple seconds, while you use a homemade funnel to channel the water out of the open mixer, into the tub.

Old 08-19-09, 08:42 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scalding water in shower

Yes single knob. This sounds more complicated to attempt to fix. I thought it might be a bit easier to do myself....knowing my skills, I'd flood the floor! Unfortunately the water shutoff is in a crawlspace and I won't go down there.

Thanks for the directions. I'll discuss with a neighbor who is handy to see how to best handle.

Old 08-20-09, 07:14 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Advise him to my post if need be. I do this kind of troubleshooting and work all the time(that's how I make my living), and that is how I'd approach it. If your neighbor helps you, you might want to watch and maybe learn for the future. If you had to ever call out a plumber for such a problem, it cost you quite a bit of money.

This kind of work is pretty easy once you get past any intimidation factor. But as with any hands-on work, it is easier said than done, if a person hasn't at least some level of mechanical skills and familiarity with had tools and some dis and re assembly work.

What brand is it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: