Island Sink Vent Loop - clogged?

Old 08-26-09, 04:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Island Sink Vent Loop - clogged?

We have a double kitchen sink located in an island, Disposal on one side, Dishwasher is connected to the disposal. We have what seems to be a traditional vent loop under the sink. No air admittance valve. This was part of a remodel 10 years ago - passed inspection after some concern from the inspector.

Starting to drain slower than it used to. When we run the disposal, we get a gusher of water from the other sink. The smell is not real pretty. Water level goes down in gulps and you can hear gulps that sound like air bubbles allowing the drain to run.

We have a cleanout plug on the sink side of the loop - I tried that and it has not had any real impact.

Help Please.
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 07:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Where do the two drains meet? The problem is past that point & before any other fixtures connect to the main drain.

Old 08-28-09, 09:20 AM
The twin bowl sink and dishwasher all connect right under the sink. Some things I have read lead me to thinking it's a vent stack - I guess it's the gurgling sound. How do I figure out which it is or do I just get a long snake and try both?

Any thoughts on using the hose end flushing balloons from the vent on the roof?

Thanks,
Peter

Old 08-28-09, 11:41 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I always try a plunger first, just in case it's my lucky day but as I said, the problem is between where they connact under the sink & where it connects to the main drain. I don't think it's the vent pipe. How far away does the pipe connect to the main drain?

Old 08-28-09, 05:28 PM
It seems to be about 20 - 25 feet from the sink to where it connects into the next larger pipe. Before I use a plunger, do I need to block off the dishwasher? or is there some sort of valve that does that for me.

Thanks - Peter

Old 08-28-09, 06:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
There is no valve on the drain. Block the disposal side with a rag or something if you can. That's all you can do. Run the water & plunge hard & fairly quickly. Sometimes you get lucky.

If that doesn't work, look for a clean out at or near the end of the 25' run. How long does it take for the water to start backing up?