fiberglass tub repair- is plastic filler/gelcoat necessary?

Old 09-07-09, 04:22 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fiberglass tub repair- is plastic filler/gelcoat necessary?

I've been checking out how to repair a hole in a fiberglass tub, and while some sites say that you need to use some kind of plastic/all purpose filler (like formula 27) and a gel coat to finish the job, others just stop after the fiberglass matting/resin + sanding step. I can see how the plastic filler and gel coat might be usefull in restoring the white color and perhaps making the area look more seamless since it's easier to sand, but I'm wondering if there is any other reason you would need those steps other than cosmetic ones. If i'm not mistaken, after patching with fiberglass matting and resin/hardener mixture, the area should at least already be waterproof, correct?

Especially with the gel coat which seems pretty expensive. Can someone tell me what each of those products has to add to the repair and if they are necessary or not?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-09, 11:02 AM
M
bump.

should I post this question in the 'marine' area too? I know that most of these fiberglass products are geared toward boat repair etc, but I don't know what the rules about double posts are around here... thanks.

Old 09-09-09, 11:30 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Man, if one of the mods doesn't pick this up and move it over to the marine threads I would say go ahead and re-post it. I am watching as I have a fiberglass shower stall with a hairline crack on the floor. Curious about how best to repair, front side/ backside or just the gel coat.

Bud

Old 09-09-09, 01:36 PM
M
Ok, I'll give it a little more time, and then do that- thanks for the response. Good luck to you too.

Old 09-09-09, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gelcoats are used for many things. Pigments are added to the gelcoat (basically a epoxy resin) to give a uniform coating or to fill in gouches.

When you mix your resin and catalyst and apply it to the cloth, when it's cured, it's basically waterproof. It's good however to apply a gelcoat to protect the surface from scratching, uniform color, etc.

I used to work with this stuff, along with composite graphites everyday working on some airplanes when I was in the service.

Old 09-09-09, 05:34 PM
M
HotinOKC-

Thanks for the info. So if that's the case, what is the filler for? I thought maybe the filler was to make the surface more uniform (easier to sand) and wasn't sure about the gelcoat.

At least it's good to know that the cured fiberglass cloth/resin patch is definitely waterproof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: