shower won't stop leaking

Old 09-09-09, 09:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shower won't stop leaking

Background: I recently bought a 40 year old house. Prior to us moving in the master shower hadn't been used in at least a few years. It's one of the types with two knobs, one for hot and one for cold. There's no tub.

Unfortunately that shower started leaking within a week of us moving in and using it. I took the shower apart and discovered that the seat washer was worn. I decided to replace both stems entirely since they were old anyway. I tried to get the seats themselves out since it looked like they were wearing on the rubber seat washer, but they wouldn't come out. After so many years of sitting there I was just stripping them when I tried to use a seat wrench. When I put everything back together it didn't leak anymore, but it was VERY hard to turn off the shower. You had to tighten the handles and apply far more pressure than I can believe should have been necessary.

I recently tried using a seat dressing tool to refinish the seats hoping that would make the seal better. It didn't - I still have to over tighten the handles to make the shower turn off, and now one of the faucets is leaking too.

What are my options at this point? Is there something else I should be doing? (I should mention now that this is the first time I've done anything like this, so if there's something obvious I should have done, don't assume I knew about it and did it properly).

Thanks in advance
Ari

Old 09-10-09, 10:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have done pretty much all you can do to a faucet from a home repair stand point.I believe the situation is seats so worn/damaged that replacement is the only fix and the serious tightening confirms it.It won't be long before you won't be able to stop it from leaking again as the flaws on the seats you now press into will wear down the washers beyond the ability to fill them.Since the seats won't come out frankly I believe you need to replace the faucet to end the problem.

As for other leaking faucets,each situation has it's own specifics.Maybe you can repair that one by doing similar things that you did before and have success.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: