Air under flapper problem

Old 09-12-09, 08:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air under flapper problem

My dog gone toilet flapper will not drop because of air bubbles coming out of the hole it sits on. It seems the air gets stuck under the flapper.
There is quite a bit of water pressure shooting out of the little hose that goes down the pipe. The make of the assembly is a fluid master.
Can I reroute the hose to the outside of the tube it goes into?

Old 09-12-09, 10:09 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like a vent problem to me. I don't think the air has anything to do with the overflow tube.

Old 09-12-09, 11:04 AM
S
Do not remove the hose that goes into the overflow.This will not solve your problem.

I agree it may be a venting issue but I would also check that the water flow into the bowl is unobstructed as well as the toilet drain to eliminate any possibility of back pressure.This includes the holes under the rim.

Also be certain that the chain to the flapper is the proper tension and length,and if the flapper is of age replace it.

Also as a matter of regular maintenance,Fluidmasters have a black rubber gasket like part under the black cap at the top.When it wears or ages it can effect the performance of the unit.Not a bad idea while you're at it to replace it.They are cheap and easy to find.

If it does turn out to be the vent it may have leaves and such clogging or partially clogging it.Sometimes you can open it up by pushing a garden hose,water off,down the pipe and push through the clog.

Old 09-12-09, 05:54 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi I had the same problem the flapper would just "float" when flushed. I jumped through the hoops nothing worked. I used acid , poured it down the overflow about a half gallon waited about 45 minutes the flushed, problem gone instead of floating the flapper was pulled shut like a vacuum. I have worked on many toilets and other systems it seems the simpler things are, the harder they are to fix.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 09-13-09, 08:12 AM
M
I will give all a shot

OK I will give all of them a shot starting with the most easy first.
I would like to know what function does that black hose have that shoots water down the overflow tube?
Thanks for all your time on this issue

Old 09-13-09, 08:37 AM
S
Originally Posted by michael van View Post
OK I will give all of them a shot starting with the most easy first.
I would like to know what function does that black hose have that shoots water down the overflow tube?
Thanks for all your time on this issue
It is known as the refill tube,from another site this definition:

While the tank is refilling a small amount of water is also going from the Fill Valve through the Refill Tube into the Overflow Tube. The Overflow Tube empties directly into the toilet bowl. This water raises the water level in (refills) the bowl. If it weren't for the Refill Tube there would be only a small amount of water in the bottom of the bowl.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: