Can I remove Kitchen sink without wrecking countertop?

Old 09-17-09, 05:32 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I remove Kitchen sink without wrecking countertop?

I have a Kitchen sink that needs to replaced. My concern is if it is possible to remove it without tearing up the countertop. I would rather not replace the countertop.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-09, 08:42 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It can be done and is not that difficult if the laminate and substrate material are ok and not water damaged.

I can usually do it in ten minutes time once the cabinet is cleared out and the water and drain connections have been removed. Just need a light, 6 in 1 screw driver and a sharp utility knife. Nice to have tools are, a heat gun, 3 in 1 painters tool and socket set with extension.

From underneath sink, there are sink clamps that resemble a "J" when fully unscrewed. The sink has a rail welded along its bottom side. The clamps attach to this and the hook bites into the bottom of the counter top material as the "screw" is turned. This, in turn, pulls the sink down onto the counter top surface. Under the lip of the sink at the counter top is a gob of caulk all the way around and along the outside perimeter.

Really old sink clamps have flat blade screw driver slots. Newer ones will be 3/16, 1/4 or 5/16 hex heads. Just work your way around loosening all clamps. You can slide them along the rail to the "slip off" point, usually the middle, and out of your way.

***This Is Where You Have To Be Careful***
Now you need to break the caulk seal. Use the utility knife with a sharp blade. Lay the knife flat on counter top at one of the sides of sink. Now tilt the knife body up until the blade just reaches the center of the caulk bead around the sink perimeter. Apply pressure to the caulk with blade and make a long shallow cut along the two sides and front of the sink. Be careful not to scratch the counter with the knife body or the knife blade. You may have to repeat the shallow cut going a little deeper inside the first cut as best you can. As long as you're reasonably close, by the 2nd cut, a small portion of the lip of the sink will pop free. Using upward pressure or force on the sink at this place and slicing the caulk with the knife, you "grow" the cut until the sides and front are free. If you're lucky, the sink will tilt up and out at the front and the back will act like a door hinge. Shallow cuts with the utility knife will free this quickly. Be careful here, 98% of all water damage happens at the back. If the laminate is loose or the substrate is swollen, you want to be as gentle as possible to not cause more damage. If everything is reasonably sound, you won't have to replace counter top.

Post back your results. And if you want my advice on how to clamp down the new sink properly.

CaryMan