"Remove this plastic guard before installation"

Old 09-27-09, 09:15 PM

This is the message I found myself reading while trying to replace the springs and washers in my shower/tub control valve. I have a delta unit and from recent experience I know that my constant dripping even when the handle is turned to off can easily be fixed by replacing a few small pieces. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to remove this plastic guard.

I am not even able to reach the screws to shut off the hot/cold water.

I think my only option is going to be to *CAREFULLY* cut it off. I don't know what tool to use though, and I feel like my best option may just be a steak knife.

Any thoughts DIY community? It is a very hard plastic that is firmly attached. If it would help I can take a picture.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The "guard", is it black? If so, there are two screws pretty deep holding it to the brass fixture. It is there to protect the fixture from tile mastic, thinset, etc. Once all the finish work is done, you unscrew the two screws and remove it. You, then replace it with the large frisbee looking plate with the stainless steel screws provided. If it is something different, take a picture of it and post it on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code to your reply post.

Old 09-29-09, 12:36 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Yes, the guard is black. I must have been really tired when I was trying to fix it because I don't think I even tried to just pull it off after I took the screws out. I won't be opening it back up until this weekend, but thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to post whatever happens.