Wax ring - 5 inch waste line

Old 09-29-09, 08:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wax ring - 5 inch waste line

I yanked my basement toilet to replace a leaking ring, and discovered that the waste line is 5 inches. All the wax rings I've seen state they're for 3 or 4 inch lines.

I decided to sacrifice a ring to see if it would seal. It sorta-kinda sealed it, but the majority just pushed down into the line.

So does anyone make rings for 5-inch lines?

-Jim

Old 09-30-09, 05:51 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never heard of it. And I have dealt with homes as old as 1868 about.

The base of a toilet is really designed for 4 inch. Are you sure that what you are looking at is the ID of the flange that may be up higher than the 4 inch pipe, leaving a space across of about 5 inches?....until you look down into the pipe and find that indeed ti si 4 inch ID?

If you find this to be the case, then take 2 wax gaskets. Use one to smear into that recessed area, and make it even with the top of the flange. Then set the other new wax gasket centered onto of that.

Old 09-30-09, 06:30 PM
J
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Are you sure that what you are looking at is the ID of the flange that may be up higher than the 4 inch pipe, leaving a space across of about 5 inches?....until you look down into the pipe and find that indeed ti si 4 inch ID?
Okay, you're absolutely right. I took another look while I was more awake. But the flange is a good 3 1/2" higher than the 4 inch waste line (I just measured). So it's going to take more than one extra ring.

I'm half-tempted to braze a filler in there (but that's too much work for right now).

-Jim

Old 09-30-09, 06:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You might be able to use a spacer ring on top of the flange if it will let the toilet still touch the floor.

Old 10-01-09, 08:05 AM
E
Ray,

That is not the problem though, in that scenario, if the existing flange is correctly mounted ontop the floor, and sticks up already say 3/8ths-1/2 inch to the top, off the finished floor. (And trying to stick another flange in the void will not work either, since the flange is about 7 inches, and to big to do that.)

What he has is a void down inside. If he simply sticks one wax ring onto the existing situation, it all just pushes down in the recess between the flange ID and the 4 inch pipe OD. I've ran into that very thing. But never have had one where pipe is so far down. Strange.

Maybe a chunk of 4 inch pvc pipe could be cut and set ontop the 4 inch down there. Use wax or some other sealant when putting it down there. Have it so the new pipe piece is almost flush with the top of the existing flange.

Old 10-01-09, 09:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
ecman51, Perhaps I am using the wrong terminoligy or just misunderstanding. I mean a flat circular plastic plate about " thick that goes on top of the flange. My reasoning was the 4" hole in the spacer would preven the wax ring from falling into the toilet. Of corse if the hole is larger then then the OD of the spacer or it raises it two high it won't work,

Old 10-01-09, 11:53 AM
J
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Maybe a chunk of 4 inch pvc pipe could be cut and set ontop the 4 inch down there. Use wax or some other sealant when putting it down there. Have it so the new pipe piece is almost flush with the top of the existing flange.
I was thinking along the same lines. Now I'm just waffling over whether to use wax or silicone to seal the pvc into the pipe. (I don't need gas burping up between the pvc and the flange.)

-Jim

Old 10-02-09, 04:24 PM
E
Clean the inside of the probably rusty 4 inch cast pipe, down in there. And wire brush it. And then you use a very slightly damp rag to get off the rust dust when you are through. Then hair dryer down in there to dry it good. The use silicone caulk, and "work" it around with your fingers until it no longer lifts off the surface of the metal 4 inch pipe. That way you'll know it will stick for keeps. Once the pipe is in there, no worry about gas burps since the wax ring on top, will cap off that seam. And even if you never sealed it as mentioned, that wax ring will still cap off that seam.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: