1942 shower enclosure done incorrectly, need advice redoing base

Old 10-04-09, 12:03 PM
1942 shower enclosure done incorrectly, need advice redoing base

So let me quickly explain the way it was:

1. paint/Plaster walls on gypsum type board with holes in it every 6 inches or so for the plaster to grab on, on normal studs.
2.the floor is/was tile around a "utility room"-like floor drain that is concrete'd in place. It's the style where the trap is accessible via a removal plug, and it's 6inches in diameter. The tile is abutted against the plaster walls, and flush with the drain. All this rests on solid ground (of some sort) in my basement.

When I took out the plaster walls, two of the three walls' studs had the bottom 6 inches of the studs rotted out...fortunately neither wall appears to be load bearing. (The studs are turned sideways and there are no bottom plates)

Now I need to figure out the best way to redo the shower with the least amount of work.

My plan is to use hardibacker for the walls and tile over that, but I'm unsure on the best method of making the junction between the wall and the concrete floor water tight to avoid anymore water infiltration into my walls. Also, I'm not sure if I should attempt to remove the floor drain and try to migrate to a "standard" style drain, where I could then use a hard plastic floor pan.

My only thought is that I that I should use a jackhammer to break up the concrete around the floor drain (maybe replace the drain), put a thin layer of concrete/thinset down that creates angles to force the water to drain correctly, put one of those garbage bag like impermeable drain liners down, another layer of thinset over that, then tile on top of that.... the liner of course would go four inches or so up each wall, and be behind the hardiboard. A lot of work, but perhaps the only way to do it correctly?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions on ways to do it easier/simpler?

Thanks,
Kirk
Denver, Co

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 09:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is what you need to do to ensure no leaks. I think you have some work ahead of you and that there is no "easy" or "quick" way of fixing it.

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Since you have cement slab, you can ignore the tar paper and lath that the link above denotes.