No water/tub faucet

Old 10-06-09, 06:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No water/tub faucet

The sink and toilet are fine, as are all other water sources in the house. We went to turn on the water in the tub one day, and nada-not a drop from the faucet at all. I'm not talking about the shower head, just.. dead faucet. O.O We're renting the house, but we would still have to pay for the plumber to come out, so I was going to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what the problem might be. That way if I can't fix it myself, I can suggest what the issue is. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-06-09, 07:54 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why should you have to pay for the plumber? I don't even think by law that any landlord could have such a provision regarding living conditions like this, in the lease. I believe it be required they pay for upkeep regarding heat, refrigeration, cooking(unless specified that stove and refrigerator not included) and plumbing.

Are you in the rears with the landlord and that is why you feel any more stuff you bring up will be the last straw between you and him/her? Or did you already tamper with something regarding this probelm?, and do not want them to come and see what you did?

Old 10-06-09, 08:04 AM
M
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Why should you have to pay for the plumber? I don't even think by law that any landlord could have such a provision regarding living conditions like this, in the lease. I believe it be required they pay for upkeep regarding heat, refrigeration, cooking(unless specified that stove and refrigerator not included) and plumbing.

Are you in the rears with the landlord and that is why you feel any more stuff you bring up will be the last straw between you and him/her? Or did you already tamper with something regarding this probelm?, and do not want them to come and see what you did?
It's a house we are renting, and one of the portions of the lease states that for any sort of service call, we have to pay the first $75 of it. I've never rented a house before, only apartments, so I didn't even consider that might be strange, since it's privately owned, but managed by a realty company. There were Several things not taken care of when we moved in, which I photographed and documented on the walk through (Dishwasher didn't work and HASN'T since April. They sent a plumber out to look at it to make sure it was hooked up to water, because we thought that was the problem-but it's the appliance itself that's messed up, 2 or 3% of the time we try to turn it on, it will even click on. Just needs to be replaced; they keep telling me to soak it in vinegar or bleach and 'see if that helps'-even though I keep doing this and telling them it doesn't-the home owner just doesn't want to pay for it to get fixed!). Ugh, anyway, the place wasn't even touched up on the indoor paint, so if they even bug me about smudges on the walls and stair banister, I will produce my pictures.

All that aside, today they are doing their property checks in the area, which is new to me too since I'm used to apartment ppl always coming in and out, so I will also mention the faucet thing-but I'd like to know what it might be so I can tell the woman to call someone Appropriate.

And nope, we haven't tried to fix it. I just hate dealing with the property company. The handy man they sent out when we first moved in to fix a few problems was a Joke, and I swear if they send that man back out, I will be amazed if he can fix it. Tempted to just call a plumber on my own.

Old 10-06-09, 02:57 PM
E
Sounds like a strange arrangement. Not even sure if it is legal if something like plumbing goes out, that you have to pay the first $75. Not heard of such stuff as this before.

Their reasons may include - trying to prevent tenants from requesting frivolous repairs, in hopes you don't complain about the petty stuff. Or you calling a repair man without the landlord's permission, and then it turns out that the problem that occured was not the fault of say the utility, but something wrong in the house, that requires a contractor to fix, and not the utility -for examples. And so then the landlord gets billed a service charge.

But I still think it might be illegal for the landlord to have you be the one to pay any money towards basics like plumbing or heat. Just because it is a lease does not mean they can include everything that comes to their mind that protects them, and not you. I believe it has to be reasonable things, and that do not violate any exsiting laws or requirements. They can't have on the lease that you can't have friends visit your house that are of a certain race. Or have in their lease that you cannot have any children in the place -and so on. I am not a lawyer, but I bet I'm right on this.

Does water come out the shower? If so, the mixer valve is good. Did the handyman take off the spout to see if water comes out the pipe?

Old 10-06-09, 03:16 PM
M
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Sounds like a strange arrangement. Not even sure if it is legal if something like plumbing goes out, that you have to pay the first $75. Not heard of such stuff as this before.

Their reasons may include - trying to prevent tenants from requesting frivolous repairs, in hopes you don't complain about the petty stuff. Or you calling a repair man without the landlord's permission, and then it turns out that the problem that occured was not the fault of say the utility, but something wrong in the house, that requires a contractor to fix, and not the utility -for examples. And so then the landlord gets billed a service charge.

But I still think it might be illegal for the landlord to have you be the one to pay any money towards basics like plumbing or heat. Just because it is a lease does not mean they can include everything that comes to their mind that protects them, and not you. I believe it has to be reasonable things, and that do not violate any exsiting laws or requirements. They can't have on the lease that you can't have friends visit your house that are of a certain race. Or have in their lease that you cannot have any children in the place -and so on. I am not a lawyer, but I bet I'm right on this.

Does water come out the shower? If so, the mixer valve is good. Did the handyman take off the spout to see if water comes out the pipe?

The water has to be flowing from the faucet in the tub, then you lift the little knob on top of the faucet, and it re-routes to the shower. It's just totally dry and dead, nothing happens.

As for the legality, who knows, every state is different, but I signed it so too late, right? The person who came out today was with the property management company, just to do routine inspections. She was floored by the things that had not been repaired (and repainted) before or shortly after move in. She's more on my side, and told me the owner doesn't like paying for repairs-no kidding! What I think is funny is that another person from the company did a walk through with me a week after move in, but none of this stuff got taken care of. I like this woman better. She said she was going to send some people out to do estimates and push the owner to do the repairs without charging me.

No one was trying to fix the faucet today, she was just checking things out.

Old 10-07-09, 06:43 PM
E
So it comes out the spout?, but not out the shower? Have someone (wink, wink)take off the shower head and then try it. If it then comes out, you have rust or water heater dip tube debris in the water saver hole(s) in the backside of the shower head that you can clean out. Then reinstall shower head with teflon tape around the threads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: