Slab tub install opinions

Old 10-18-09, 06:27 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slab tub install opinions

I have done some searches but I would like some ideas. I have a rough-in for a full bath in the basement. There is a trap with a flush cut stub located 16.5" from the studs and about 60+ inches from the left outside stud wall (if you were facing an alcove, setting up a right hand drain). This alcove is not framed yet but there is room for a 60"x32" tub. I have two major questions: Since there is no clearance box around this stub like I have read is necessary to mount a tub so I guess I would have to break the slab up and clear out the area needed for the tub's drain/overflow to fit or was this rough in not intended for a tub or do they make taller clearance tubs?
Second as I said the trap location indicates a right hand drain, but I had planned the supplies come down the left side of the alcove because I wanted to do a half wall (or just enough to enclose the tub) on the right instead of a true alcove, so is this reasonable?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-19-09, 07:36 AM
M
If you have a trap in the concrete and a flush cut stub, I would think it was intended for a shower, not a tub. A shower pan usually sits right on a flush cut trap and then the shower drain is installed. I have never done this, but I think this is how it is done.

Maybe someone with some real experiance will chime in...

Old 10-19-09, 08:07 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How big is the trap??

Tubs use 1-1/2". Showers require 2".

Old 10-19-09, 02:52 PM
Tub Rough-In

Originally Posted by fav453 View Post
I have done some searches but I would like some ideas. I have a rough-in for a full bath in the basement. There is a trap with a flush cut stub located 16.5" from the studs and about 60+ inches from the left outside stud wall (if you were facing an alcove, setting up a right hand drain). This alcove is not framed yet but there is room for a 60"x32" tub. I have two major questions: Since there is no clearance box around this stub like I have read is necessary to mount a tub so I guess I would have to break the slab up and clear out the area needed for the tub's drain/overflow to fit or was this rough in not intended for a tub or do they make taller clearance tubs?
Second as I said the trap location indicates a right hand drain, but I had planned the supplies come down the left side of the alcove because I wanted to do a half wall (or just enough to enclose the tub) on the right instead of a true alcove, so is this reasonable?

Thanks in advance
1: Have you confirmed that you have a trap below the concrete?, get yourself some water and a flashlight, dump water down the pipe and see if you end up with standing water in it, if not you don't have a trap below the concrete and thats not a tub rough-in.

2: A good plumber always leaves a box around a tub rough-in, so if thats a tub rough-in you will have to bust up the concrete to get working room.

3: If you have a rough-in for right hand tub or left hand tub you can't reverse the location of the plumbing, you would end up with your back against the valve or the drain.

4: I think that you need to do some exploring before you get started.

Old 10-23-09, 09:29 AM
F
thanks

Thanks for the thoughts. I had a plumber look at it and he said there is a trap in there although I will verify. He also said it was for a tub, but it is 2" id. Good point on the drain position. I want to put a tub in versus working with the rough in as is. Looks like the drain will need to be repositioned to the left hand side. I have an idea on how to do this but the first question is how much room should I leave around the repositioned stub and how deep should it be? Also should the stub extend up past the level of the floor? I will do some more research on the concrete work.

Old 10-23-09, 02:42 PM
Tub Rough-In

Originally Posted by fav453 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I had a plumber look at it and he said there is a trap in there although I will verify. He also said it was for a tub, but it is 2" id. Good point on the drain position. I want to put a tub in versus working with the rough in as is. Looks like the drain will need to be repositioned to the left hand side. I have an idea on how to do this but the first question is how much room should I leave around the repositioned stub and how deep should it be? Also should the stub extend up past the level of the floor? I will do some more research on the concrete work.
I would leave a 8x12in box around your new rough-in.

A lot of codes don't allow 1 1/2in underground, that could be why you have 2in.

You run your box to the top of your p-trap and past the finished floor line, run your stub up the same, don't glue it into the trap, just dry-fit it, that loose joint will come in handy when it's time to hook things up.

Old 10-25-09, 02:44 PM
F
Ok

I have a plan. I will reposition the drain to the other side.
I looked into renting a jackhammer had HD and the guy said it shouldn't be a big deal. I am concerned about damaging this existing trap and piping with the jack hammer whats the best way to do this carefully?

Also how do I post a pick to show the layout I have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: