Toilet flange help

Old 10-20-09, 05:27 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet flange help

Hello all,

Like a fool, I decided that ripping up the tile and carpet in the master bath and reinstalling 12" tile was a good idea. Also decided it would take a weekend. The tile was put down with some sort of white mastic some 16 years ago and took concrete with it when I pulled the tiles up. Long story short, the grout went on this evening some two weeks later (looks nice if I do say so myself).

I have but one job left and that is to reinstall the toilet. The issues are three fold:

1) The right side toilet flange was broken (white pvc plastic).

2) The flange was not screwed into the concrete or the tile. It was just glued (I assume) into the sewer pipe.

3) The existing flange was installed slightly less than level.

I bought two of the crescent moon shaped flange repair kits figuring metal is better than plastic even though one side isn't broken. When in doubt over-engineer it.

First question: (assuming you guys don't talk me out of using the repair kits)...how is best to drill down through the porcelain tile and concrete and anchor it? Keep in mind that I don't have access to the underside of the existing flange. I figured a masonary drill but but how would I ultimately anchor (in any meaningful way) the screws into the concrete?

Second question: will the slightly less than level flange cause me any trouble? I didn't see any indication of any leakage when I took the toilet off.

Thanks,
New

Old 10-20-09, 07:17 PM
A
You could remount the flange and repair flanges to the floor with Tapcons.(Blue concrete screws)
Be careful drilling through the tile, try using the masonry bit with the hammer turned off on the hammer drill. Depending on the tile they may crack.
Your new wax ring should compensate for the crooked flange, as long as it is within reason.

Old 10-21-09, 04:48 AM
N
I learned something new....tapcons.

Thank you for the help!

New

Old 10-23-09, 07:01 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Not likely you'll be able to drill thru porcelain with a masonry bit. They make bits for this though. Here is a link to what they look like. I'm sure you can get them at the big box stores as well.

PTC Porcelain Drill Bit, all your tile & stone tools needs. Big Savings. Contractors Direct.

Just use this bit to get through the porcelain. Use a bigger bit for the porcelain tile then you need as you don't want the tapcons to crack the tile. Then go to a smaller size masonry bit (the size you need for the tapcons) to drill into the slab.

Old 10-23-09, 07:20 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Newarcher

I just saw your other thread. If the flange is too high, you gotta correct that first. A repair flange on top of an existing flange sitting on top of the tile will definitly be too high. The toilet will rock and the leak in a short amount of time.

Old 10-23-09, 02:33 PM
Flange too high Big Problem please help

Not sure if I should start a new thread so I will piggyback onto this one as my flange is too high. Discovered this as I seated toilet on new wax ring and had sealer all over the bottom edge of the toilet. Now have a toilet that rocks like a see/saw in a playground and sealer mushed all over the floor. Ok I can wipe/clean up the sealer and get a new wax ring - no problem, My dilemma is how do I lower the closet flange. The new tile placed around the flange left a gap of 3/8" or to put it another way the bottom of the closet flange is 3/8" off of the tile.
I dont know what the proper gap is all I know is that the toilet rocks alot when I seated it.
Ok onto the flange. It is metal and seems very securely attached to the 4" drain. It seems solid and not bent or damaged. I have pics if someone can help me as to how to post them.

I await the wisdom of the gods of Plumbing. In the mean time I will drink wine and pray.
As always thanks to anyone in advance who helps me. I love this site.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: