Slow Flushing Toilet

Old 10-28-09, 08:57 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow Flushing Toilet

My toilet has gradually been getting slower at flushing over the past year. Now it has gotten to the point where it will not flush (fast) enough to remove all the soiled water.

Here are the things I've done thus far:

1. Cleaned tank (it had a blue dissolve brick in it)
The brick/Cleaner was not the problem, as the toilet started flush slow long before the brick placed in the tank. And now that all the brick/blue cleaner is gone. It still will not flush.

2. Poured many bucket directly into the bowl to manually flush the toilet. THIS WORKS GREAT. Flushes like it should.
If I am correct this eliminates a venting problem, Right?

3. Took a wire coat hanger and cleaned the angled flush channels. Some were stopped up. And the toilet flushed a little better. But still too slow to flush toilet paper.

4. : ?????

I guess I'm down to trying Vinegar or CLR ect....
Will CLR hurt the toilet seals, and where do I pour it in the tank? In the over flow pipe, or directly in the flush hole?

Thanks for any help. I really don't know what else to try.
And hate to pay a plumber if I could fix it.

Old 10-28-09, 09:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 862 Votes on 794 Posts
I HATE those clip on toilet cleaners. They cause more troubles...

Sorry about that. Now back to your problem.

Water must enter the bowl fast in one big surge in order for the toilet to flush. Often with my rental houses pieces of the toilet cleaners break off and get carried out of the tank by the flush and then get caught in section where the tank and bowl meet or in the water passage around the rim of the bowl.

Since you've cleaned the holes around the toilet rim, next I would remove the bowl from the tank and see if there is anything obstructing the water flow into the bowl. It could be a part from a toilet cleaner or a blob of old mineral deposits caught somewhere. Once something gets washed into the passage around the rim of the bowl it can be a real pain to get it out, but most often is is stuck right at the infeed where you can get to it after removing the tank.

Old 10-31-09, 03:34 PM
T
Thanks for the reply.
I'll see what I can do with the tank/bowl.
I just hope that when I get it back together it doesn't leak.
Honestly, we have been wanting a new toilet. This one is a bit small, and not as "modern" as we would like it.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Old 10-31-09, 04:08 PM
My 20 yr old commodes were extremely slow in flushing. I even tried a cordless drill, flex bit, and small masonry bit to clean out the holes under the rim. NO luck.
I gave up and replaced three toilets, they all flush in about 2 seconds now!!!

fred

Old 10-31-09, 04:12 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Before I would pull a toilet, I would pour about a quart of muratic acid down the over flow in the tank. Let it set for about 45 minutes then flush. I think you will see a big difference. Remember this is acid so be careful.
Good Luck Woodbutcher.

Old 10-31-09, 04:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 862 Votes on 794 Posts
Be careful with muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. It is one of the few strong acids still available to the public. Breathing the vapors or getting a splash of it on your skin or clothes will teach you a lesson. Also, if used at full strength from the bottle it will etch the glazing of your toilet making it more difficult to keep clean in the future.

Old 11-03-09, 09:37 PM
Z
Hi All,

In need of your kind assistance to the problem i'm facing.

I've attempted to change my toilet flapper valve with a new one recently but after installing the new flapper valve,the toilet fails to flush.In need of your opinion to what might be the cause of this problems.Your valued opinion is much appreciated.

Thanks
znrzai

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: