Adjust Shower Head Position

Old 10-30-09, 06:40 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adjust Shower Head Position

I tried searching the forums for this issue, but only received a Database Error message, so if it's already here, apologies.

I just purchased an Aquadyne Wall Bar Shower Set. It's 2-piece with a stationary head and a wand. My issue is that the wand holder on the head doesn't sit where I want it when I screw the head onto the pipe. I need to adjust the stop position of the head approx. 45 degrees from where it currently is. I don't want to force it around with a wrench for obvious fears.

Is it as simple as adding a nut to the pipe and using it as a stop? I'm not sure if it will hold over time. What about another washer in the head? Will it create leaks (rubber compressed on rubber)? I am not against cutting the pipe and rethreading (the head is about 3 inches lower than it was, and at 6'3", I need every inch of height). There is enough room after the bend to cut and rethread. If that's the option, what size die would I need (My current die set doesn't get this big). I know I can take the cut piece in and match it up, but if someone has the data, then I'm Ross Perot.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Old 10-30-09, 07:14 AM
S
Shower heads are all 1/2 npt(national pipe thread).Depending on the material it might not be too hard to thread as usually it's brass or chrome plated brass.

That said I'd look for something like brass washers etc to use as a spacer to take up the space so that the part ends up where you need it to.

Go to a real hardware store and talk to the help there.I've worked hardware for many years and depending on how much thickness you actually need can think of various ideas.You need to go and work with them as different stores stock widely varying items and some possibilities are not plumbing,they are fasteners etc.Just make sure you use brass,stainless steel etc not a rust prone material.Brass is best as you won't be mixing metals but hardware stores are full of possibilities.

Old 10-30-09, 07:42 AM
B
Thanks for the info and advice. Much appreciated. I hadn't thought about using metal washers.

The pipe is chrome-plated brass. I'll be taking oyur suggestions to my nearest real hardware store. I've gone to those imaginary ones, and they never have what I need.

Old 10-30-09, 07:51 AM
B
That got me moving in the right direction. I took the plastic washer (looks more like a spacer, and it's threaded) out of the old head, and screwed it into the new one, then replaced the rubber washer. Gave me the exact height and tension I needed.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: