How to remove sliding glass shower doors?

Old 11-07-09, 01:31 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove sliding glass shower doors?

Hello,

We'd like to remove the sliding glass shower doors from our main bath as it's just too hard giving our kids baths. We'd like to replace the doors with good old shower curtains. I do have some questions though.

I'm fairly sure I can remove the 2 doors and the metal frame without too much of a problem, but I'm unsure how to clean up the walls and the tub after the frame is removed. The tub has ceramic tile on the walls, and the 2 end pieces of the shower door metal frame are fastened to the tiles with 3 screws on each end. Along the vertical edge of each of these end pieces, there is a bead of caulk (or even grout - I'm not sure) to make it water tight. I'm not sure how to completely remove all the caulk/grout to make it look like it was never there, all without damaging the tile. Do they make some sort of solvent to help remove this? Would I just scrap it off with a putty knife? As for the 3 screw holes, I assume I would just fill those with a color appropriate caulk, right?

Similar question for along the top edge of the tub where the bottom piece of the metal shower door frame sits. There's no screws to remove, but how would I completely remove the bead of caulk/grout from the tub without damaging it?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Old 11-07-09, 03:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
After you remove the doors and frame - the real work begins

Mineral spirits or maybe denatured alchol might help but mostly it's going to take elbow grease along with care. You'll probably use a putty knife or a razor blade to remove the caulking. It helps to keep it well lubricated to lessen the chances of scratching the tile. Some times a rag wet with thinner wrapped over the edge of the putty knife will help.

Old 11-08-09, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
They make squeeze tubes of caulk remover that will do a pretty good job of softening many types of caulk. Don't think they work on 100% silicone though. You'll find it near the caulk in almost any paint department of any store that sells paint.

Old 11-08-09, 10:55 AM
I
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
After you remove the doors and frame - the real work begins
Exactly what I thought.
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
They make squeeze tubes of caulk remover that will do a pretty good job of softening many types of caulk. Don't think they work on 100% silicone though. You'll find it near the caulk in almost any paint department of any store that sells paint.
I'll take a look tomorrow when I go buy some stuff for an unrelated project.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

Old 11-08-09, 12:20 PM
H
Get a sharp razor blade scraper and you should be fine. I've don't this a few times in the past when working with our shower that sounds very similar to what you have, and it's really not bad. Keep the blade at a shallow angle, and I've never had any issue with hurting the tile or tub (our tub has a hardened enamel coating). If you one that is fiberglass or other softer material, then I would maybe use a bit more care or something else.

Old 11-08-09, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Oh...and be careful using razor blades on tile...you can get metal burnishing marks that can be a huge pain to remove....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: