Vanity faucet with 1 1/4 granite won't fit!

Old 12-05-09, 07:41 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vanity faucet with 1 1/4 granite won't fit!

Arg, I am so frustrated, does anyone have any ideas?

My wife wanted granite countertops so we had then installed including the main floor bathroom. I purchased a Moen Cardin faucet.

The problem is the lower stems of the faucet (where you hook up the hot and cold water) are only 2" in length. This is NOT long enough!

Here is the math.

2" - 1 1/4" for the granite - 1/2" for the plastic nut that holds the faucet to the countertop (from below) leaves on 1/4" to hook up the hose.

This of course is not enough as I learned when I turned on the water and it squirted everywhere.

I went to Lowes where the guy in plumbing told me he has done plumbing for 20 years. I showed him what was going on and he agreed it was a problem.

Is 2" for the lower stems normal. Or is this a Moen faucet length.

Needless to say I am frustrated and will contact Moen, but of course this being a weekend they are not there. I tried to call them earlier and got a message that to receive a callback I need to wait until Tuesday. (sigh).

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-09, 08:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
An electrical conduit nut and conduit washer may work and is thinner. Still might not work but might be with a last resort try.

Old 12-06-09, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hate to tell you but when you install a sink or counter top that is thicker than standard you have to get the faucets with the longer shanks, most brands make them but, you may not be able to get them is the style you want, sorry.

Old 12-06-09, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Call the granite installer or a local shop...they may be able to "countersink" (kind of appropriate verbiage huh?) the area for the hook ups somehow.....

Unfortunately..to do it right..it probably should have been done before install.

OH....along with what ray said...if you can determine how much you need for the water hookups..you might be able to cut the plastic nut and give yourself enuf room.