Help installing Mohen Banbury shower only valve

Old 12-18-09, 05:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help installing Mohen Banbury shower only valve

Doing a bathroom remodel, the walls are open and I am looking at the 50 year old two faucetts valves and shower riser. Simple enough.
What is confusung is the picture instructions that came with the new valve.
Which is hot, which is cold??? Doesn't say
How to attach valve to something to support it, there are 4 tabs on the valve for this purpose, but they don't show what to do, the valve has a large round black plastic cover that I think goes behind the wall with a neck that pokes thru the wall that gets broken off at some point to attach the handle but there are no clear instruction what to do.

The old fixture has male stems attach like a hose bib pointing down that the copper water pipes simply screw on to.
The new valve has female threads built into it coming out the side and it looks like I have to attach a 1/2 threaded fitting in there and then sweat a pipe to the fiting, that mades it non removable if there is a problem later
Can anyone give me a clearer picture how to install this thing, THe so called experts at Home Depot said to just follow the instructions

Old 12-18-09, 12:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill kubiak
Doing a bathroom remodel, the walls are open and I am looking at the 50 year old two faucetts valves and shower riser. Simple enough.
What is confusung is the picture instructions that came with the new valve.
Which is hot, which is cold??? Doesn't say
How to attach valve to something to support it, there are 4 tabs on the valve for this purpose, but they don't show what to do, the valve has a large round black plastic cover that I think goes behind the wall with a neck that pokes thru the wall that gets broken off at some point to attach the handle but there are no clear instruction what to do.

The old fixture has male stems attach like a hose bib pointing down that the copper water pipes simply screw on to.
The new valve has female threads built into it coming out the side and it looks like I have to attach a 1/2 threaded fitting in there and then sweat a pipe to the fiting, that mades it non removable if there is a problem later
Can anyone give me a clearer picture how to install this thing, THe so called experts at Home Depot said to just follow the instructions
1: If you have the valve handles facing you the one on the left is hot, a lot of valves have a red mark or indicator on the hot side.

2: To attach the valve you have to put wood or something else in to catch the tabs on the valve, if that won't work you have to design something that you can use tubing straps on.

3: That large plastic cover goes over the valve and it should have the finish wall lines on it, thats where you have to rough-in the valve so it is the right amount out of the rough wall, that stays on until you are ready to install the trim. (YOU MUST GET THIS MEASURMENT CORRECT!) That cover must be set to the FINISHED wall line!

3: To make up the valve you will need female adaptors to go into the sides, you can't solder the adaptors while they are in the fixture, you have to solder them to a short piece of tube first and then screw them in, then cut to size.

4: If you are concerned about removing the faucet in the future just add unions to your hook-up.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: