Help! Need more flow from my kitchen faucet

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-09, 11:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Need more flow from my kitchen faucet

My new kitchen faucet (Moen Anabelle) works great--except for the 2.2 gpm flow restriction. My wife has been frustrated from day one that it takes so long to fill pots, wash out her huge new sink, etc.

By modifying socket wrenches I've been able to make tools to disassemble the wand to get at the water restriction device. But it doesn't appear to be the old disc restrictor type--removing anything that looks like one of those does not increase flow volume, it only degrades the consistency and quality of the water stream.

My nanny-state government has bullied the manufacturers into coming up with a harder-to-defeat system. It appears that flow restriction has been integrated into the water diversion switch (operated by a toggle button on the outside of the wand) that diverts the water--either to the wand's spray nozzles, or to the center stream with an anemic 10% increase in water pressure).

Does anyone have any suggestions, either on ways to modify the water handling cartridge (part #128632-1651-1), or maybe a source for a replacement cartridge that will get me back to full pressure?

I can't be the only one unwilling to allow a bunch of faceless, tree-hugging EPA LOONS to keep me from enjoying decent water pressure!

I appreciate your help!

Old 12-30-09, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Did you try taking off the aerator on the end of the spout (where the water comes out) and look in there? That is where I find most restrictions.

Old 12-30-09, 01:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
I have the same problem with the faucets in my home except in my faucets there is no restrictor. The hot, cold and sprayer wand lines all pass through the same hole so each line is very small and consequently there is very little flow... and nothing I can do about it.

Have you looked at replacing your faucet with a commercial model (those not intended for kitchen use do not have the flow restriction, but they are ugly laundry or utility models). Many commercial units have a simple aerator/restrictor screwed into the end of the faucet and are clear to say that they feature bla bla aerator and if you look into it, the aerator and flow restrictor are easily removed.

Old 12-30-09, 05:33 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You on city water or a well? What is your pressure in PSI?

Upper duplex......UPPER......where it should be less pressure, has SO much pressure going through the 1/8th inch water saver disc in the faucet aerator, that it blasts water all over the kitchen, when it hits the sink bottom. I think the water pressure is about 100psi in that location of town.

I found it annoying the water pressure was TOO good! It is even coming out the shower, when the shower is not on. I took off the aerator thinking the water saver disc was removed. It wasn't. (I know how to solve though. So - since this aerator is also rated 2.2 GPM's, and will blast a glass out of my hand, that is not likely your issue.

I really believe you have poor water pressure and/or volume. High pressure means nothing if a valve somewhere is almost closed, or there is a pipe restriction. The main issue then is what is causing poor volume in a dynamic state, rather than simply high pressure in a static state.

High water pressure though can help to overcome a restriction. But If you have say only 40 PSI of water pressure, and had no restrictor, you may be satisfied with the flow. But if you have to push water through a 1/8th inch restrictor, the 40 psi would have a tough time of it, and would cut the flow way down. But at 80-100 psi, even though there is that tiny hole, the water could still blast it's way through that restrictor.

Old 12-30-09, 09:13 PM
R
Thanks so much for your ideas.

In response...

ecman51: I'm on a municipal system, and I think I remember reading that the city regulates the system to 60 psi. At any rate, the water pressure is fine (and unchanged) everywhere else in the house--and it's fine in the kitchen as well, until I screw the wand onto the hose--so I don't think the water pressure itself is the issue.

Tolyn: I've removed every screen in the wand and the water flow is still at the reduced rate. The only difference the screen removal makes is in the smoothness of the aeration.

Pilot: Your idea of replacing the Moen with a commercial model (which will not have the flow restriction) is the best solution I've heard yet...though I hate to take that route just yet.

Any other ideas out there?

Old 12-31-09, 07:39 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How many gpm's come out of this faucet, when hot and cold both on? Measure the flow rate for us. Need to see if something is even actually wrong. Or, if your theory about mfg'er caving into to gov't desires is the cause. Becasue you did say it was like this since day one.

Also, what type of plumbing pipes do you have? Often, when people make new installations on old galvanied pipes -especially if they shut water off at the meter, rather than the valves under the sink, rust chunks break loose and clog something up.

Old 01-07-10, 08:47 PM
P
Help is on the way!

Here are the instructions and if you do this right you will correct the problem and be on good terms with your wife again.

First remove the wand from the hose, and check inside the water entry point of the wand and see if the secondary flow check is in place. If it is remove the backflow cartridge with a small screwdriver or pick. It is a small cylinder and should pop right out of the wand with a little tug.

Reassemble the hose and wand. Turn on water and check flow. Then yell for your honey, "I fixed it for you!"

I found that by removing the flow restrictor from the aerator is useless unless you remove the backflow cartridge.

Let me know how things worked out.

Old 02-09-13, 10:46 AM
M
Plumbing911, You are the man!!! Sad the original poster did not come back to thank you. With pulling out the backflow cartridge, I seen normal water pressure restored. Thanks for making an nice moen product perfect!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: