Need to change washers on bathroom faucet (but collar is stubborn to remove!)..

Old 01-11-10, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to change washers on bathroom faucet (but collar is stubborn to remove!)..

I need to replace the leaking washers in my Delta single-handle bathroom sink faucet..

However, the faucet seems to have a different idea about this...the collar seems to be frozen and absolutely resistant to the idea of me unscrewing it in order for me to get at those washers..

I've tried about every idea that I could come up with so far....even tried locking a pipe-wrench on to the collar as best as I could and giving it a turn...but inevitably it just won't grip it very well and turning the pipe wrench on it only seems to gouge out very small chunks out of the collar..

I'm worried that I'll finally just end up having to take a hacksaw to it and having to get another new faucet..

Of course, I'd rather just change the washers in it (as I had originally intended to) as opposed to buying another faucet..

Any ideas on how I can 'persuade' my faucet to allow me to unscrew the collar (without doing more damage of course) on it so that I can just swap out the leaky washers in it?:

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-10, 07:01 AM
Temporarily Suspended
How about you remove the handle first & look for another nut?

Old 01-13-10, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
How about you remove the handle first & look for another nut?
When I had the handle off before I took the pics, then I didn't ever recall seeing another nut..

I figured the single-handle bathroom sink faucets would be just like the single-handle kitchen sink faucets (as far as swapping out the little rubber washers go)....and that's what I had to do to the single-handle kitchen sink faucet to get to the washers....I ultimately had to unscrew the collar that covers the faucet stem ball that interacts with the washers..

Thanks for the response, Pulpo.

Old 01-14-10, 12:27 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Hi, Remove the handle, there is a a round white pastic ring, unscrew that. You might be able to remove it now but I doubt it. Heat the crome ring, a hair dryer will probably work. It does not take much heat to release the crome ring. I have removed a many of those caps this way. Before I found this method I used Channel Locks and failed. I have removed the valve put it in a vice and failed.When you used the wrench you may have bent the unit out of round.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-14-10, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
Hi, Remove the handle, there is a a round white pastic ring, unscrew that. You might be able to remove it now but I doubt it. Heat the crome ring, a hair dryer will probably work. It does not take much heat to release the crome ring. I have removed a many of those caps this way. Before I found this method I used Channel Locks and failed. I have removed the valve put it in a vice and failed.When you used the wrench you may have bent the unit out of round.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Thanks for the reply, Woodbutcher!..

I tried channel locks previously (obviously to no avail) before I tried using the pipe wrench...

I'm pretty sure that I didn't ever bend the ring/collar out of round at all (I was apprehensive about using the pipe wrench anyway) because I stopped twisting after I realized that it was gouging the ring..

I'll try the heat trick though when I get the chance (I own a heat gun).