Toilet won't flush all the way

Old 01-13-10, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet won't flush all the way

Hello all,

I found this site by doing numerous searches on google regarding my toilet won't flush all the way. I found so much information but nothing actually answered what I am experiencing personally. Go figure...

1st I have no kids and I'm positive nothing was dropped into the toilet. I think the toilet is original to the home, there are 2 of the same in the house and it was built in 1993 but I can't be sure. I bought the house in 2006. The toilet in question has always flushed a little slow or weak but at least stuff went down. I've recently replaced all of the tank parts due to a leaking flush valve about 3 months ago and the toilet has flushed properly until now.

I have checked the tank, it fills all the way to the max and the fill plunger is to it's max height. Any higher water level will drain down the overfill pipe in the tank.

2 days ago the problem started. When I flush the bowl swirls with water and fills and it starts to swirl down but doesn't quite make it and then the swirling stops and the tank starts to fill again. I tried cleaning the hole at the bottom of the tank, it has some calcium build up on it but I think I got most of that cleaned out.

What is the fix for this following situation. When I hold the flush handle down and keep the flapper open the toilet flushes properly. When I look in the tank when the toilet flushes the flapper is dropping down before all the water is out, that was never a problem before but it is now.

What do I do to fix this problem? I have tried moving the chain to different levels on the flush handle bar to try to keep it raised up longer but that didn't work. I'm really at wits end with this...

thanks in advance for help!

Old 01-13-10, 10:25 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your problem certainly points to the flapper. For whatever reason, it is not allowing a complete flush. Depending on type, it may have absorbed some water, making it heavier and prone to fall shut too early. I would consider replacing the flapper only and see what happens. They are only a few dollars.

Old 01-13-10, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
Your problem certainly points to the flapper. For whatever reason, it is not allowing a complete flush. Depending on type, it may have absorbed some water, making it heavier and prone to fall shut too early. I would consider replacing the flapper only and see what happens. They are only a few dollars.
Thanks for the quick response. They are the black bulk flappers that I purchased at HD when I had the leaking flush valve problem. They come in a bag with about 10 or so, I don't think they are the highest quality ones out there.

I have more of them so I will be able to swap it out quick and I'll updated.

Old 01-13-10, 07:06 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only one of the two identical toilets is slow? Take off tank cover to both, and compare everything: Water height, timed test of evacuation out of tank and into bowl, and water that remains off bottom of tank when flapper closes. Also are fill valves identical to both? And do both have the bowl recharge tube installed in the overflow? Are both toilets on the same vent pipe? (they would be if the one upstairs was directly over the downstairs one.)

Old 01-13-10, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Only one of the two identical toilets is slow? Take off tank cover to both, and compare everything: Water height, timed test of evacuation out of tank and into bowl, and water that remains off bottom of tank when flapper closes. Also are fill valves identical to both? And do both have the bowl recharge tube installed in the overflow? Are both toilets on the same vent pipe? (they would be if the one upstairs was directly over the downstairs one.)
Yes, they are identical on the outside but the toilet upstairs is the toilet that is giving me issues. They both flush slow but the toilet upstairs seems to have more issues. I have replaced all of the "guts" in the upstairs toilet. Fill valve, flush valve, handle...everything. The other toilet I have not replaced anything in but the fill valve a few years ago. The upstairs toilet was leaking a few months ago and i traced the problem to the rubber gasket under the flush valve that was leaking and rotted. I replaced it and the leaking stopped.

They are in different locations in the house so not on the same vent pipe.

I did replace the flapper as suggested in a previous post and it does flush now but it's still really slow, but it flushes that's what matters.

I really would love to have my toilets flush with some gusto, instead of just barely made it down type of flush. Any recommendations besides replacing the toilets.

BTW: The upstairs toilet that is the master bedroom toilet that the original post was about can not fill any more with water. The Fill valve is maxed out and if it did go any higher the water would drain down the overflow pipe.

Thanks for all of the help. Looking foward to the responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: