Both my tanks slowly leak...

Old 01-14-10, 08:46 AM
Both my tanks slowly leak...

My water bill was huge this quarter so I made a call to the water dept and it turns out they hiked up their "prices" but they did suggest using a small blue tablet in the tank and letting it sit for awhile to see if any leaked into the bowl...well, both my toilet bowls had "blue" in them after only 5 min or so. They obviously didn't tell me how to remedy the situation if it occurred, so hopefully you can help, you always do!!! TIA and keep up the great work on a great site!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-10, 10:39 AM
Replace the flapper or whatever type of tank ball the toilets use.This is by far the most likely source of the leakage.

Old 01-19-10, 09:00 AM
Thank you...I really appreciate the help!! Can I buy those "blue" tablets that tell me if I have a leak (in this case, hopefully a fixed leak) at the hardware store? Thanx again for your help!!!

Old 01-19-10, 12:53 PM
Not sure about the tablets, but you might consider using a few drops of ordinary food coloring dye in your tank. Essentially it should serve the same purpose to identify whether or not water is leaking from your tank into the bowl.

Old 01-19-10, 01:49 PM
The blue tablets etc ARE blue food coloring so yes just get some of that.

Old 01-19-10, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
Did you ever put bleach tablets in your tank to clean the bowl? They'll destroy the rubber in the flapper and cause this. Our lease prohibit tenants from using them for just this reason.