Toilet flange won't fit into drain

Old 01-19-10, 08:56 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet flange won't fit into drain

We're putting in a new bathroom. Hired a plumber to rough in the lines and did everything else ourselves. We're almost done, but getting stuck on what seems to be a stupid little thing: The toilet's flange is a very tight fit and won't go far enough down onto the PVC drain pipe in the floor. No matter what I do while test-fitting it, the outer ring sits about 1/2" above the finished tile floor, and won't go down any further.

I even widened the hole in the floor in case the outside of the flange was getting stuck against the floor, but no luck.

The drain pipe in the floor ends about 3/4" below the top of the finished floor.

The flange looks like PVC with a stainless steel outer ring. It slides over the outside of the drain pipe but gets too tight to push down any further when it gets close to the floor.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Old 01-19-10, 09:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Get a different flange. Some times they just come a bit off. Note also once the cement is applied the will usually slide further then the dry fit. Or to be really safe call the plumber back.
If you buy a new one the kind I prefer is the PVC with the metal ring. The ring can be spun after gluing to get it in just the right place and won't break out the way all plastic ones do.

Old 01-25-10, 07:36 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suggest you study very carefully the "take off" if there is any, on the flange. Measure from the lip of the flange where it sits on the floor to the end. Also measure the inside from the end to where the drain hits inside the flange. If that measurement is less than the first you have to cut or lower the drain pipe. It is true that PVC fittings won't make up all the way until cement is applied, but they usually aren't 1/2" shy of making up. You may be able to wipe something on the inside of the flange and push it down as far as possible and then remove it to see how short you're actually coming from seating the fitting. That flange must set on the floor and be screwed down or the toilet will rock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: