Bath Tub on Second floor

Old 01-20-10, 03:09 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bath Tub on Second floor

Ok I think I might have a problem. I have a 1927 house and there was a Whirlpool tub in the second floor when we moved in. We tore out the shower on the first floor and redid that bathroom and are now starting to work on the second floor, part of this process left us without a shower for the last couple of months so we have been using the tub. A few weeks ago I noticed a slope in the floor starting about 3 feet in front of the tub and tonight I noticed that I think its getting worse.

The tub runs parallel with the floor joyce's and there is about a 12' span (they run from an outside wall to the stairwell) and they are 2x6's. How concerned should I be if we want to keep using the tub? or is it even safe to have a tub on a 2x6 floor? or what do I need to do to make it so?

Or another option if I have to get rid of the tub, if I put my shower where the tub is do I need to worry about weight with the tile in the shower? I would be using the schluter system so no sloped morter bed.

Thanks guys

Old 01-20-10, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You need to find out why the floor has started moving/sinking. Basically the floor sinking is not a good sign. Have you looked downstairs at the ceiling area underneath the tub? Has the ceiling sagged/sunk or have any cracks?

A few possibilities come to mind and all are structural.

1. Leaking water could have rotted the floor joists. This is not a recent problem have happened many years ago and you are only noticing it now that you are using the upstairs bath.

2. Looking at floor joist sizing tables 2x6 look marginal at best for a 12 foot span with modern lumber and engineering tables. Being a old house your 2x6 are probably the full 2x6 dimension and possibly old growth very strong wood but... it is possible that the floor is unable to carry the load and should be reinforced.

3. Was any structure removed when you did your downstiars bathroom remodel? Is it possible that a load bearing wall was removed?

4. Building codes and inspections did not exist in most areas when your house was built. Plumbers often cut out sections of floor joist that got in the way. I often see the floor joists cut to make room for tub toilet drain lines leaving only the flooring to provide structure & support. Again, not good and the floor needs to be repaired/reinforced.

Old 01-20-10, 09:38 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re

thanks for the reply,

No plumbing was cut and I do not see any water damage. When we did the bathroom downstairs the only wall I moved was a small wall that only extended about 6' into the house (definetly not load bearing)

I am going to just scrap the tub (I didn't want it anyway) and put the shower there. I have a few questions though.

First the ceiling downstairs is the original plaster with 1x2's spacing it and then drywall. If it has been moving recently would that have cracked the drywall or will I have to cut that out to see the ceiling underneath it.

Second if I just bolt some new 2x6's to it to square it up and throw a new subfloor over it will I be ok? or how can I tell if I actually need to tear out part of my floor and replace the joyces?

Third if I get a look at the old ceiling and its not cracked (hence the sag isnt moving even with increased use of the tub) would it be safe just to level the floor and throw the shower over it?

Old 01-20-10, 01:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would go stand in the tub and do a quick deep knee bend (like jumping up & down, but don't leave the ground) to see if you can feel the floor give or move. Try this outside the tub standing in the low area. If you have help someone can get down low and sight along the floor as you jump to see if the floor is giving. If there is little or no movement, no cracking or creeking sounds then the low spot may have been there for a long time.

I would certainly find out the cause of the low spot before I remodeled the upstairs bath. If you are redoing the room it is easy to open up the floor or at least some holes so you can look inside to make sure everything is OK. If not then it's easy to sister (bolt) some new joists next to the old ones and level the floor.

Old 01-20-10, 01:16 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If you really have 2x6's spanned 12', your floor must be more like a trampoline than a floor. Does it seem really bouncy when you walk on it? Are you sure they are 2x6's?

I'd suggest that you post this question in the framing and subflooring forum here to get some ideas as to what you can do to beef up the floor.

Installing a tiled shower instead of a tub isnt gonna be any better of a solution. You mention a kerdi shower system. The kerdi shower tray still has to be set on a floor that will meet minimum deflection standards. You dont want the tray moving, and tile cracking. Additionally, you will not want any tiled walls that you add, or fixed glass panels to be subject to movement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: