New Pop-up drain won't seal

Old 02-05-10, 06:21 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Pop-up drain won't seal

I've been renovating my double sink with new faucets. When I removed one of the two sinks pop-up I noticed under the ceramic sink that it was not flat and actually had a small void about a 1/4 inch deep. It was full of some type of caulk which I scraped out. Clearly this was used to seal the old pop-up. My question is what kind of caulk/sealer should I use with the new pop-up drain to seal the void? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-10, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Caulk should not be used to "fix" anything in plumbing. The pop up flange should have plumber's putty under it and when you tighten it from below, the excess will squish out. EXCEPT on cultured marble. There is too much oil in it and it will stain the marble. With ceramic, you will be fine with the putty. Let us know how it goes once you take it apart, clean it, apply the plumber's putty (in a rolled up ribbon), and reassemble it.

Old 02-06-10, 09:29 PM
is it possible to shut the overflo valves in the drain

we got wonderful new vessel sinks with great vessel faucets. However the drains that came along with it are the normal popu drains, that have an overflo valve. I have no overflo on this sink. We don't have the cash to buy a new one, does anyone have any suggestions on how to seal these holes well so that we can use these drains?

Old 02-07-10, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Check your original post...........................

Old 02-10-10, 09:23 AM
C
Chandler,

I was mistaken about my countertop. It is cultured marble so what are my choices. The sinks were poured as one mold with the countertop. There is a large void, like you took a trowel and dragged it across the bottom of the sink before it dried that creates a large "v" gap directly where the pop-up is supposed to seal to the drain opening from underneath. There appeared to be a large metal washer/ring that was siliconed to the base of the sink to create a flat surface. Should I repeat that now and if so where can I get a 2-1/4 inch round washer with a 1-1/4 inch hole and what do I use to glue it to cultured marble? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-11-10, 02:09 PM
The bottom of your sink should have a rubber type washer, (that has a bump on it that goes into the hole of the sink) a carboard type washer and the steel washer, you should be able to get them at the big box or a plumbing supply.

Just use clear silicone to seal into place.