New toilet

Old 02-16-10, 08:20 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New toilet

I have four home improvement projects that I'd like to get done this year.

One of those projects involves remodeling the main bath. That includes new toilet, vanity, tub/shower, floor tile, and painting.

My question is about the toilet. Some of them certainly are pricey. I don't mind spending the money, but I want to make sure I get a quality toilet.

I like the idea of the dual flush toilet models, but it's certainly not a deal breaker if I don't get one. My two concerns are water conservation and solid waste flush capacity.

I don't want to get a wimpy toilet that conserves water, but requires two or three flushes to do the job. I also don't want to get a toilet that uses 10 gallons of water per flush.

I'm sure that most toilets made these days are designed to use as little water as possible. So, I guess, my real concern is solid waste flush capacity.

I'm probably opening up a bad can of worms with the Ford v Chevy v Dodge people out there (i.e. opinions). But, what are the best toilets on the market that both conserve water and provide adequate flushing ability?

Old 02-16-10, 11:58 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I guess you haven't heard of the Wimpy Toilet Law. All toilets manufactured after Jan 1st. 1994 don't use more than 1.6 gallons of water.

There are air pressure assist toilets available. You may want to look into those.

Old 02-16-10, 12:07 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
By federal law no toilet sold in the US may use more than 1.6 gallons per flush (gpf). Some toilets use as little as 1.28 gpf.

Toto (totousa.com/ is the world's largest manufacturer of toilets and they have a huge selection. While they are a Japanese company they have manufacturing facilities in many different countries and that includes the US. Many plumbers consider Toto to be among the best engineered toilets and the company has a well-deserved reputation for quality control. They're not cheap but can often be purchased for considerably less than their suggested list prices.

You won't find Toto at the local mega-mart homecenter though, you will have to go to a plumbing distributor or plumbing showroom.

Old 02-16-10, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Most newer name brand toilets work just fine as long as the piping, venting, and install are done correctly. Sure..you may have issues installing a no-name brand in a 90 y/o house with original plumbing...but most will work just fine in recent vintage homes.

The problem when they first came out was that the manufacturers just reduced the flush w/o redesigning the bowl.

I installed a Cadet off the floor toilet ($150 or so?) last year and it's never failed to eliminate what needs to go.

Old 02-17-10, 07:47 AM
R
I appreciate the responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: