Tub drain problem

Old 03-02-10, 10:03 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub drain problem

My tub has a slow leak. At first, I thought it was due to the clog it had, but that resolved itself. Even though I rent, I prefer to tackle the minor projects around the house that are a simple twist here or there. My tub is an all in one. If anyone could pass on any details on fixing this, or if I should leave this to my landlord and the professionals.

I am not familiar with terms used in plumbing, so if there is a simple fix, please keep that in mind. I have read through the threads and have learned a few tips to help keep the tub and drain cleaner than I did before, so any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-10, 02:32 PM
"My tub has a slow leak"<<< Got to know where?

Old 03-03-10, 02:23 AM
E
Sorry. The tub leaks out the drain, almost as if some part in the actual mechanism is not tight. It doesn't matter how full the tub is, if it was filled and left alone, it would empty itself over a somewhat short period of time.

Old 03-06-10, 02:51 AM
E
I did a little more research, and I haven't really found an example that showed my tub exactly. My tub uses a lever, but the stopper is under a strainer built into the tub. I am a self-taught "handyman" type- I like to take a look at the problem to see if I can fix it, but since it isn't "my" tub, I want to keep it simple and cheap. After all, money is a lot tighter than it was a couple years ago.

Old 03-15-10, 01:21 AM
D
Tub drains itself in minutes or hours

From apartment, rental house, condo, hotels, to my own house, I experienced many types of tub drain, from push-down type, lift-and-turn type, rubber cover type, to the most popular level type.

Almost all tubs drain themselves out in a matter of minutes or hours. Tub is not designed to hold water forever like the toilet water tank. Safety could be one reason, in case a person or a child slips or falls down due to sudden heart attack or seizure, though we cannot live without air for more than 2 min.

The level type is a leveler housed in the middle of tub overflow drain plate. Usually two long screws connect the overflow plate to the tub body. Usually the screws are not stainless teel, so they get rusted and may break when you try to unscrew or remove them.

Usually you flip the leveler up to hold the tub water, and flip it down to drain the water. The leveler attaches to two metal rods, connected via hook-eye, with a short cylinder attached to end of last rod. The short cylinder, or stopper, is lowered to block the tub drain which connects to the tub vertical drain, the one right below the tub spout.

If it is your house & tub, and that the screws holding overflow plate is made of stainless steel, then
1) unscrew both screws, and pull out the leveler slowly,
2) check and clean out hair or debris on the stopper and the horizontal tub drain.
3) Extend the lenght of the linking rod by turning the rod counterclock wise, if the stopper does not block the horizontal drain hole completely.

If for some reason you want to hold the tub water longer, then buy a rubber cover, usually round shape, and put a weight on top of it, like a river rock or a paper weight.

Happy soaking