Toilet gurgling when washer drains

Old 04-07-10, 08:22 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toilet gurgling when washer drains

I have two questions:
1) Whenever the washer drains, I hear and see gurgling in the bowl of the toilet. Kind of like bubbles in a glass of milk with a straw but really large air bubbles. I don't know why this is happening or how to fix it.

2) The toilet will not flush properly. From what I have read here and on other sites is that the water from the tank should fill the bowl of the toilet so rapidly that it sucks the contents down the toilet. Sometimes if I hold the handle down for 30-45 seconds it will s-l-o-w-l-y drain the contents. Other times it just doesn't work so I fill the bowl with water from the sink until it flushes.

Are these issues related in any way?

We will soon be replacing the old peel and stick tiles on the bathroom floor and installing vinyl sheet flooring. It would be nice to know if we can fix both these problems while the toilet is out (or sooner if it's an easy fix).

More info if helpful:
We have well water with little water pressure but spouse is checking that out tonight, we also have a septic tank but the landlord said it should not need to be cleaned out this year.

Thanks so much.
kjh9835

Old 04-07-10, 12:07 PM
Question

The most obvious thing is that you have a partial stoppage in the line that the toilet and washer connects to.

The second thing I would check is the septic tank, it dosen't matter when it was pumped, if it is filling pretty soon nothing will work; you have to look into it.

Old 04-11-10, 09:16 AM
K
The septic tank checked out fine but there was an obstruction in the line from the house to the overflow and I had to call Roto-Rooter to come and clear it.

Per the septic company, the other possibility was a blockage between the overflow and the septic tank but that estimate was $1200 to dig it up and possible replace clay line due to tree root damage and damage from driving over the line under the driveway.

The landlord elected to have Roto-Rooter come first and everything is fine now.

Thanks
kjh9835

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: