At my wits end with a toilet! HELP!

Old 04-08-10, 12:09 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
At my wits end with a toilet! HELP!

I have read everything here and at other DIY sites for help with my toilet and tried everything with no success. Here is my situation:
Toilet will not flush all the way. No solid or liquid. Bowl fills up no problem, but water only slowly runs out. No good "flushing" sound ever. This is a problme that started about 6 months ago.
Actions I have taken so far: Tried the buckets of water trick inside and no luck, bowl fills up and slowly empties. Checked he holes around the rim, and all are running smoothly (compared everything to the other toilet in the house that works fine). Crawled under the house with drain snake and fed 30feet of it through the line, finding no obstructions. Climbed onto the roof and flushed the vent pipe with no results. Took the toilet and tank apart, took the bowl outside on blocks and flushed buckets of water through it and got great flushing sound and full flush. If I getflush like that but not when its in the house, where do I go next?
By the way, the sink and tub in that bathroom drain fine.

Old 04-08-10, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You have a blockage....at least thats my bet.

Your snake may have taken a left turn or just not have been long enough. Did you snake the line when the toilet was off? Did you dump buckets of water directly into the drain when the toilet was off?

The toilet is probably the single largest "dumper" of water into the drain. I mean..depending on the toilet..you could dump 3.5 gal in about 10 sec. Thats prob more than a dish or clothes washer.

The blockage may be before the toilet line connects to anything else.

Old 04-08-10, 01:18 PM
Agree with Gunguy45, thats the same way I read it.

Old 04-08-10, 01:33 PM
E
Thanks for the replies. I did dump water directly down the line and it cleared fine. Since my first post, I went back outside and flushed the toilet with 5 more buckets and went at the holes under the rim with a clotheshanger again. I brought the bowl back inside and just sat it over the hole and dumped more buckets. Hooray!! It flushed with great success. I tentatively put the tank back on and flushed with another bucket. I reassembled everything and hoped for the best. Success! It flushes like a champ. I don't know if I finally cleared something out of the trap (I didn't see anything come out)or if I finally cleared enough gunk out of the holes. Either way, it works. The only test left for it will be reading time later. He He! Thanks for all the informative posts and posters here for their help.

Old 04-08-10, 04:41 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gunguy45

Your snake may have taken a left turn or just not have been long enough.
My fairly large headed toilet auger went right around a giant cell phone a few weeks ago, without ever getting it out! Amazing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: