replacement of pop up assembly in pedestal sink

Old 04-24-10, 12:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacement of pop up assembly in pedestal sink

I need to replace the pop up assembly under my pedestal sink. I can remove the pedestal to get easier access to the parts that need to be replaced, but I don't know whether it is safe to just let the sink hang from its wall supports while I do this. Does anyone have a recommendation for how to support the sink while the pedestal is out from under it to enable me to do the work?

Thanks

Old 04-24-10, 01:20 PM
It's hard to say if it's safe or not. It depends on the sink, some use the pedestal for decoration and it holds hardly anything, the other ones use it for major support.

You are best to err on the side of caution, cut a board the right size to support the sink, remove the pedestal, then you can see if it is going to bend down if you start to remove the board, if not you don't need the board, if it starts to tilt you will need the board while you work on it, luck.

Old 04-24-10, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I think it would prob be much easier to just take everything off and not have to worry. Since you have to remove the drain piping...just take the supply hoses off as well and take the sink to a workbench or something.

I know I'd hate to be under the sink wrenching and accidentally kick the brace out so the sink tears out of the wall and falls on my chest.

Old 04-25-10, 12:46 PM
GUNGUY45:

>>>I know I'd hate to be under the sink wrenching and accidentally kick the brace out so the sink tears out of the wall and falls on my chest.

Old 04-25-10, 03:10 PM
In my experience, pedestal sinks are NOT installed to take any weght. Unlike a wall hung sink, which is attached with a subtantial bracket bolted to wood studs, the pedestal takes all the weight, and some screws into the wall are just to prevent it from pulling away from the wall.

Old 04-26-10, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by 594tough
In my experience, pedestal sinks are NOT installed to take any weght. Unlike a wall hung sink, which is attached with a subtantial bracket bolted to wood studs, the pedestal takes all the weight, and some screws into the wall are just to prevent it from pulling away from the wall.
594tough: Your experience is different then mine, I put in at least 500 and about 1/2 of them have a bracket that will hold the sink without the pedestal, just info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: