Slow flushing toilet

Old 05-31-10, 01:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow flushing toilet

Good day all. I would appreciate a little input to a problem we are having with a toilet.
The bowl doesn't clear the "debris" when it is flushed the first time. My wife tells me that sometimes it has to be flushed 4 or 5 times wasting a lot of water.
The toilet was off recently due to bathroom renos and it was thoroughly checked for blockage as this has been a concern for some time. A peak down the floor connection showed no blockage there either. A toilet in an adjacent room connects to the same floor drain and it does not have a problem. Yesterday I installed a new float valve as the tank was very slow filling. That problem was taken care of. But still, the bowl doesn't always empty on the first flush. I should mention that my wife has Crohns disease and her excrement is in small floaty pieces, not the large "lumps" of a normal person. Yucky!!
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Altaman

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-10, 03:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Make sure that there is no slack in the chain that goes to the flapper. If that's not the problem, Do a test. Instead of flushing by hand, pour a bucket of water in the toilet. Notice if the flow is the same or better. Use a 2 1/2 gallon bucket.

I don't have Crohn's but I have similar problems. Wheat grass juice helped me alot. There is also a digestive aid. It's pronounced acid-a-zine. I don't have the correct spelling. When I buy some more, I'll let you know.

Old 05-31-10, 09:48 PM
Flush problem

Thanks for the reply Pulpo. The chain to the flapper is tight and I did do the bucket test. Flow was about the same. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Altaman

Old 06-01-10, 04:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If the flow was the same, then everything in the tank is OK. Are we talking about a first floor toilet? What other toilets exist & where are they located?

Old 06-01-10, 08:46 PM
flush problem

There is another toilet in an adjacent room that is connected to the same pipe as the troublesome one, making a squared off Y. That toilet has no flushing problems. These are main floor bathrooms. There is another in the basement and that has no problems. I checked the top of the riser where it vents at the roof and there is no blockage there.

Old 06-02-10, 05:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In that case, I would say that the built in trap in the problem toilet has a restriction. Try an auger or a wet vac.