Another toilet problem

Old 06-02-10, 11:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another toilet problem

I posted yesterday about flush valves. Today its flapper valves.

I replaced the fill valve,flapper valve,and flapper valve flush handle,(one with chain). Everything went well,except now it
seems the flapper valve isn't seating.

Water level slowly bleeds down,then fill valve comes on and fills to proper level,then after awhile it starts the filling cycle again. (~2 minutes).

If i put some pressure on the flapper valve with my fingers, it seems to seal o.k.,but when i take off,it starts to slowly leak down again.

I've tried 3 flapper valves with the same results,which leads me to believe something else is going on. I checked for leaks between the tank and toilet and it was dry.

I'm at a loss on what to do next. Can anyone help here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-10, 01:06 PM
I had the same problem a while back....had to try all the different flappers until I found one to fit. I also rubbed some vaseline where the flapper seals and that helped too. Another idea is to add some weight to the top of flapper to hold it down...large washer or 2.

Old 06-02-10, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
Check the lip which the flapper seals against. Any nicks or scratches can cause a slow leak.

I sometimes have trouble with flappers sold in bulk. They get kinks or creases when packed loosely in the bag and leak. Getting a nice straight one usually works.

If there is a float attached to the chain, removing it sometimes help. The allows more water pressure to push down and seal the flapper. I've seen this most often on relatively new water saving toilets.

Old 06-02-10, 02:37 PM
Thanks folks for your inputs.

I almost was afraid to post this. I'll try the weights,and the vaseline.