Toilet clogged and coming up through shower (city sewer)

Old 06-18-10, 09:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Toilet clogged and coming up through shower (city sewer)

We have been renting an older coastal house for about a year and half now, and haven't had too many out-of-the-ordinary problems with it until recently. The toilet has clogged before (many times) and probably has iffy piping from it, but now it's been plugged for a few days and is forcing solid waste up through the shower.

The shower itself is a stall style, no tub, and is directly behind the toilet itself. A month or so ago I replaced the aging handle and flapper system with the Hydroright Dual Flush system, mostly to save some water from the occasional dribble from the old rubber flapper. It works OK, can't seem to get it tweaked right, but this seems like something else entirely.

It's a rental house, and the landlord who I'm basically related to, is out of the area for awhile. It's something I don't mind fixing myself if possible, but I want to do it right. From the sounds of it I'll need a drain snake, but is there a specific kind/length I should get? The closest place to me would be an ACE Hardware and looking online it sounds like $25 or under is reasonable.

Is this the way to go? If so, would I go through the shower or the toilet first? I'm not sure if I have any sort of drain or valve accessible to me around the street but I could be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-10, 04:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
If waste is backing up in the shower the clog is not in the toilet so a toilet snake probably will not help. The shower should have a trap underneath it so snaking from there will be difficult. Does the house have a crawl space or basement? If so, go underneath and look for a clean out plug that gives you access to clean out the pipes. If there is no access from below you will have to remove the toilet and snake from there.

I would use a solid tape snake. They are a solid band of steel about 1/2" wide and 50 feet long and should be less than $50. You can also rent a powered snake that has a long coiled steel spring with a cutter head on the end.

Oh, and don't forget a good pair of rubber gloves.