how to seal small crack at toilet water tank

Old 07-18-10, 12:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to seal small crack at toilet water tank

How to stop the small outside crack at the ceramic toilet tank to leak?

I can see a small hair crack at the bottom side of toilet water tank.
There is small droplets of water at the outside crack of the tank.
Is there any kind of paint of simple coating I can apply to and stop the small leaks?

Thank you.

Old 07-18-10, 05:34 AM
L
Drain the tank, let it dry seal the crack with a silicone sealer, let it cure properly .
That should do it..

Good luck and have a great day

Old 07-18-10, 08:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Don't expect a miracle with a ceramic repair (make it from the inside, BTW). It may hold for a century, but it may leak tomorrow. Do your repair, but be budgeting a new toilet, complete, not just the tank unless it is an exact match.

Old 07-18-10, 11:05 AM
J
The hair crack is only at the outside. There is nothing in the inside of the tank.

I like to attempt sealing this tiny hair crack without replace the entire toilet. Do you think nail polish will work? How can I get hold of those porcelain or ceramic coating ink or ceramic super glue?

Old 07-18-10, 11:53 AM
Is it a crack or a scratch? Does it leak water? If superficial, you can get a porcelain paint repair kit at the big box plumbing departments.

Old 07-18-10, 01:35 PM
R
Originally Posted by jgy2001 View Post
There is small droplets of water at the outside crack of the tank. (@ #1)

The hair crack is only at the outside. There is nothing in the inside of the tank. (@ #4)
The small droplets of water suggest it is seeping from inside.

The hairline crack likely came about from stress . . . over tightened tank parts, bowl not tightly secured to floor, or an unlevel floor. While an underwater sealant might provide relief from outside water droplets, it will do little to address the structural integrity of the tank itself . . . as a temporary solution, might read instructions for 3M 5200 (or other underwater sealants) to see if it will adhere to rough porcelain finish on inside of tank.

Like chandler said, a repair might last a long time or suddenly fail. I would be concerned about impact of water damage should this crack enlarge if away from home for awhile. Tanks are fairly inexpensive, and buying a tank and re-using the parts might be a workable solution if budget is tight.

Old 07-18-10, 02:46 PM
If tank leaks and/or breaks, the water will not shut off until you shut it off....if you're home.....if you hear it.

Old 07-18-10, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
A crack in a toilet tank is a disaster waiting to happen. Cracks never shrink or heal themselves and repairs are very temporary in most cases. If this is a rental..it's the landlords problem. You can probably find a compatible tank for $50 or so...or an entire toilet for $100. I know money is always tight, but water damage repairs will be much worse.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: